Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long Term Planning

As an NQT teaching reception I am working on my planning for September. I have decided upon my topics for the year but am wondering how I can complete the long term plan to show equal coverage of elgs when i'm not sure what i will be doing in each of the topics. Does this make sense? The school are due for an Ofsted inspection.

Hi Matilda,

As a Nursery Practitioner in a private day nursery, I'm not sure how useful my input will be for you, but this is how we do it. Our LT plan is a 3 year rolling cycle of Topics, which is accompanied by a statement of ss and elgs we cover as an ongoing process during normal daily routines. The MT plans are where we map out how we will cover the ss and elgs, by indicating these and the kinds of activities we will offer to support and explore the topics within each area of development. We file these, plus full Topic evaluations and notes regarding spontaneous developments and children's own interests and choices, with the relevant topic plans from year to year keeping them in boxfiles for evidence and also to inform planning next time round. The real nitty gritty is in the ST planning, which we all do differently anyway, and wasn't your question! :)

Any help?

Sue :D

As an NQT teaching reception I am working on my planning for September.  I have decided upon my topics for the year but am wondering how I can complete the long term plan to show equal coverage of elgs when i'm not sure what i will be doing in each of the topics.  Does this make sense?  The school are due for an Ofsted inspection.

36508[/snapback]

Two good sites might be a help.

http://www.cleo.ucsm.ac.uk/content/earlyye...ylearninggoals/

http://www.norfolkesinet.org.uk/pages/view...asp?uniqid=2158

So I guess I could map out what I think I will cover in the long term plan but if I change my mind because of whatever reason as long as this is reflected in the medium term plan there are no worries.

Thanks for the website links, I love the Norfolk one and shall probably use that format for my plans as they seem very accessible.

Hi.

I also think these plans are fab. Only thing i was thinking about was that according to those plans they only cover most of the goals once a year. :o

The long term planning i received didnt have the goals trying to be achieved just what was (very) roughly going to be covered, so im not a hundred percent sure what i should write on them... still haven't got an ey coordinator although they've made me ICT coordinator mmm...

Any thoughts?

I see what you mean buttonmoon but it does say that,' the highlighted ELG only emphasise goals that must be covered in the long term plan, but obviously ALL ELG’s can be provided for all the time.'

I thought this would be ok, what do others think?

Ah...

I've just opened a different one, i've only been looking at 'ourselves'.

So basically the long term plan shows goals that must be covered at some point during the year. That'll teach me for not reading all of them!

On my long term plans I list which ELG (1 from each aspect) we will cover each half term and the theme/topic, then on my medium term plans I put the ELGs we are working towards and ways of linking them to the theme/topic and sub topics we are covering.

Weekly/daily plans are then broken down into ELGs/stepping stones.

At least when Ofsted came they could see how many times we had visited/revisited each ELG.

didnt mean to send that.. im new to this .... sorry!!!

ive just looked at the elg's and they are brilliant! Im going into reception in September. so far there is no planning therefore all the planning about ourselves has been helpful

Edited by Guest

It's so helpful this site - fantastic resource of the printed stepping stones - thank you - printed and ready to post up on my notice board. It;s times like this when it really helps me out. We all have a lot of ueful resources and sharing them really does cut the workload down - so thanks again - must be popular by the number of downloads - well done whoever found/created it.

Nikki

I am glad that the stepping stones/ELGs printed sheet has helped so many people. Something similar was sent to groups in our area and I typed it out again in a slightly different format to suit my group.

I have enlarged each sheet to A3, laminated them and put them on the wall so staff/parents etc can see it and its a quick way to check each childs learning/next steps during the session when observing and assessing.

Carol

I don't know if this will help and I haven't fully concentrated when reading all the replies so far, but in answer to your very first question this is what we have been told to do ( and it does kind of work)

Look at all the ELGs - we were given them on paper - then consider which ELGs you cover:-

1. Through your Learning Environment (we have about 8 I think)

2. Through your Daily Routines (again we have about 9 eg "Listens with concentration...) I am sure as part of your daily routine your children will be required to listen.

3. All the other ELGs (most of them) can then be divided into your topics/termly or half-termly

We have found that the same ELGs need to be put into quite a few topics. It is also worth saying that we only plan our topics very roughly for just 3-4 weeks and then leave a blank. This means we can then go with the flow and respond to the children's ideas/needs. Therefore, the ELGs covered when we 'go with the flow' need to be added retrospectively.

To be honest, the most fun and best learning seems to come from the children's own ideas for topics or where their interest lies, so my advice would be don't plan too tightly or in too much detail - you will be meeting and covering many ELGs from your Learning Environment and your Daily Routines any way.

Does this make a word of sense??? Oh, I've just seen the time, I must go to bed.

That's very helpful, thanks Bungalow!

It certainly makes alot of sense to consider those stepping stones/elgs that can be covered through the environment and daily routines and then those that will need more careful planning to ensure coverage.

It is slowly beginning to make sense to me, I think!

:o Been having a good look on the site and amased at how many people like the norfolk esint plans ....yet I work in Norfolk and the setting manager will not use them!! Guess I will have to introduce her to this site!!

Great site and love reading all your comments

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone,

I have only worked in Reception for a term, and I'm still getting my head around all the elg's.

I probably haven't read it well otherwise I wouldn't be asking this question. Sometimes on the Norfolk plans only two early learning goals are being highlighted, yet aren't most of the elg's being covered throughout the term. For example the getting dressed, undressed is done every week.

As you can see I am getting a little confused and a bit anxious about planning for next term.

Would anyone like to help me, cos I sure need it. I'm sure this has been covered already.

HI Laura

Yes, you will find many elgs are being covered through ongoing activities and routines. I think the point of the Norfolk planning is that elgs are given a specific focus in different topics as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)