Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phase 1 Phonics- Again!

Hi,

For my past four years in Nursery I have done a short daily phonics session - either whole class or more preferably in 3 groups using a mixture of phase 1 letters and sounds activities, Singing phonics (which has proved very successful) and ideas from 'Foundations for literacy'. Of course, in addition to this we have also provided 'spontaneous' phonics - listening to sounds in the environment, making sounds to go along with stories, singing rhymes at appropriate moments, make sounds using different objects etc. I have found that although the group activities are fun and children have made progress, I always seem to be 'squeezing in' a phonics sessions - usually at the beginning of the session when the children would like to get playing - as we use the end of the session for small group time and large group story/song sessions.

I know that many people 'do' phase 1 phonics by slotting it in where appropriate through-out the session and also include singing/story sessions as part of 'phonics' but I am concerned about dropping the daily group session as the letters and sounds documents states

"Practitioners and teachers should provide daily speaking and listening activities that are well matched to children’s developing abilities and interests."

Just wondering what others do and how they show 'daily speaking and listening' on their planning and ensure that all children are getting some phonics teaching if not in groups? Wondering whether to stick to small groups first thing as it only short session?

Any ideas or thought are welcome!!

Green Hippo x

I think if you are using that quote to justify phonic group sessions maybe you should think about it in a wider context?

I think much of what goes on daily would fit with the statement - "daily speaking and listening activities that are well matched to children’s developing abilities and interests."

It doesnt state daily phonic sessions

It does state meeting the development needs and interests of the child though.

If you are squezzing it in maybe its because all the other things going on are exciting and motivating the children and a formal session isnt really required?

At this time of the year we have a very short session on the carpet at the end of the morning and afternoon. Some of the phonics stuff fits naturally ito this time. We would continue this throughout the year picking up those with more ability and perhaps concentrating with them in small group sessions.

Maybe sme of the phonmics activities should be there as something for the children to choose to do during the session?

I think you feel that its not working right now so maybe try it a few different ways?

Edited by Scarlettangel

Thanks Scarlettangel,

I haven't actually started group sessions for phonics yet and as I was doing my planning last night, I started to question whether it was the best was - thinking exactly as you've said - there is nothing to say we have to do PHONICS everyday and many things fit into speaking and listening anyway. I do think that some of the phonics activities are good as the children enjoy them and benefit from them but I'm thinking that there isn't necessarily a need to do them everyday with so much else on offer related to speaking and listening. I wonder whether to make one of our small group session a phonics related one each week then do the rest more on-going. We do find that it works better to do games such as those in the letters and sounds booklet in groups at the same time as we have no-where that is quiet to go away from the other children and I think this is important when teaching children to tune into sounds etc. As always, it's the recording of it that becomes the problem!

Thanks

Green Hippo c

We are trying to 'squeeze' phonic sounds into our daily routines rather than making a specific group time. for instance what went really well last year was at morning carpet time we sing that brilliant Days of the Week song ( the one to the tune of the adams family) and instead of always clicking fingers eg 'Days of The Week' click click...we started with other body percussion..clap clap, pat. pat stamp stamp etc ( different one each week) and then moved onto the phonic sounds....Days of the week. s s days of the week s s. etc etc.

Adding the Jolly Phonic action as we sang them......

........Its a lot easier to sing it than write about it. : )

But the children really picked them up and looked forward to finding out which 'sound of the week' we were making this week.....if you get my drift?! Intend to start again this term once the little uns are ready to LISTEN!?! : /

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I do a daily phonics session following letters and sounds phase 1 at the moment, i plan for a different aspect each week. I do this at the moment as a whole class activity after snack. As more children join after christmas I will repeat from aspect 1 to 7. At Easter if like last year many of my nursery children were within phase 2 then i will also include them in the phase one activities and plan also for a seperate small group using phase 2. We also have other literacy activitie within the day, but although they will teach phonics and other litereacy areas they are not specific letters and sounds activities. I like the way we do it, and it works well, I find the children love the activities and I am impressed with the progression already.

We are trying to 'squeeze' phonic sounds into our daily routines rather than making a specific group time. for instance what went really well last year was at morning carpet time we sing that brilliant Days of the Week song ( the one to the tune of the adams family) and instead of always clicking fingers eg 'Days of The Week' click click...we started with other body percussion..clap clap, pat. pat stamp stamp etc ( different one each week) and then moved onto the phonic sounds....Days of the week. s s days of the week s s. etc etc.

Adding the Jolly Phonic action as we sang them......

........Its a lot easier to sing it than write about it. : )

But the children really picked them up and looked forward to finding out which 'sound of the week' we were making this week.....if you get my drift?! Intend to start again this term once the little uns are ready to LISTEN!?! : /

Tell me more about this activity, I have never heard the days of the week song..what am I missing???

• Like 1

Well zigzag I cant take credit for it as someone else put the song on a Days of the Week Songs thread.....but if you know the tune to the Adams Family its a fun and active way to not only talk about 'what day it is' but also as I wrote in my post, it can be adapted to add body percussion, mouth sounds: shh shh, oo-ee, etc and phonic sounds phase 1 of sounds and letters....

Days Of The Week ( clap clap )

Days of The Week (clap clap )

Days of The Week, days of the week, days of the week ( clap clap )

Theres Monday and theres Tuesday

Theres Wednesday and theres Thursday

Theres Fridayand theres Saturday

and then theres Sunday too!

repeat 1st verse

Days if the week (clap clap).......

Guaranteed your be singing it as you do your supermarket shop tho! :)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)