Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Maternity Leave & Training

I Have a member of staff whose child protection training has run out while on maternity leave..I made her fully aware of this including constant reminders of the expiration date and how to book a course! Our policies state that booking courses/training are the responsibility of the individual (its all done online).

My dilemma now is that when this staff member returns to work she has not renewed or even attempted to book herself on a course..therefore her child protection training has expired.

I have emphasised that it is in the individuals best interests / professional practice to keep up to date with training etc but am unsure of where the land lies regarding completing training whilst on maternity leave......Can i have this staff member back in the setting without current child protection training in place?

I would say yes based on the fact our staff have sometimes been unable to get a place and so have exceeded the 3year date that people prefer although I don't recall the 3 years being a mandatory date. Our staff stagger their training so most are up to date at any one time. I'm not sure you could have asked her to attend while she was on mat leave anyway. Take her back and help her to find a course.

It will be fine - as long as you can ensure she gets some training or an e update on her return. She is allowed to have 10 paid 'keep in touch' days during maternity leave that will not affect her maternity pay - maybe she wasn't aware of this and thought she wouldn't get paid for the training or would be penalised in some way ?

Thanks peeps I dont think it was because she was concerned about being penalised or through lack of knowledge about booking courses etc more of the 'cant be bothered' :blink:

And online would be more cost effective for her too - no babysitter to find and possible pay for when she is on maternity pay/grant , and she can do it when baby is asleep. NSPCC do an online safeguarding course I think - and the PSLA may have one available in thier free courses to members - or one to buy ?

To be honest you cannot expect her to undertake training whist on maternity leave, you can offer/ask but she's entitled not to do it until her return to work. If you do not allow her back you could fall fowl of discrimination laws. As long as you can evidence you have action planned to get her to complete her training then that will be fine.