Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baby Sleep Routines

laura

Our baby room is up and running but I wonder how people cope with the different ways parents want you to get their babies to sleep.

One baby needs to be rocked -wait for it - for up to an hour and a half!!!!! another needs patting, while he screams, another music, etc etc.

It was a nightmare today as the screamer and the rocker were tired at the same time, my arms were killing me rocking him. We are fortunate to have 2 bedrooms although one isn't up and running yet, so we moved a cot through, but this isn't ideal in terms of keeping a check on them.

Do parents seriously think it's ok to send them to nursery with this type of sleep habit!!!!

Our two 2 year olds went to sleep beautifully on their sleep mats, first time we have ever done this as we've just been preschool hours and now day care!

Edited by laura

We often have difficult sleepers when they start too but we gradually 'break them in' to a reasonable routine. This sometimes means leaving them to cry for a little while (checking of course that they are ok). We had one little boy who had to be rocked like you said, but once he was settled and had got a bond with his key person, we put him in a cot at his sleep time and let him cry for a while. Within a couple of weeks he would go down with no problems. It just takes a bit of grit and determination!! We do keep parents informed if we do things like this and check it is ok with them. They are usually more than happy for someone to show them that it can be done. Parents can't expect an adults' time to be taken up trying to get one child to sleep so if they choose daycare, I think its reasonable to expect us to try and introduce routines like this. Good luck!

Beehive

Don't forget to make sure babies/children have the comfort items they might need, such as their own soft toy, blanket etc.

Edited by Beehive
  • Like 1

Nothing really to add, Laura, just to endorse what Beehive has said. Don't forget, as early years workers we're used to it all, many parents may be in the 'first child' situation, when everything is new and worrying - once they see the warmth and competence of yourself and your team, coupled with the fact that their child is thriving they will indeed be happy to have been shown what can be done and that

their precious child will come to no harm.

Good luck, it's a big change for you

Sue

• Like 1

Thanks Sue and Beehive, we'll see how it goes, more visitors today who saw us getting the screamer to sleep, or should i say heard, it did open up discussion about their child's sleeping habits and a few realised that they would have to work with us in getting a more manageable routine set up!

PS Beehive - we are busy bees and our out of school club is the bee hive ;) x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)