Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snacks - Dangerous?

Hi, reviewing what can and cannot be given for snack. A lot of what we know as "unhealthy" or "unsafe" are from hearsay and I wondered if there is an approved list? I've tried googling but can't find anything.

I ask because I like the idea of a trail mix (dried fruit and seeds) but i don't know what seeds are child friendly if any at all as they could be a choking hazard?

Bit puzzled, please help lovely people!

I can't think of an "approved" list either. We don't give kiwi fruit because that can be associated with food intolerance, the enzymes in them apparently and we do ask parents to inform us of any food allergies, which I am sure you must already do. My concern is that children may develop an intolerance at any time and from your point of view you need to know if any of your children have ever been exposed to the seeds you propose to offer.

Would it be possible to buy some of this mix and have it set up first thing in the morning for the parents and children to try together - or not - you could then judge whether it would be something they would like anyway or parents could opt their child out.

Had never heard that about kiwi!

This what I mean, everything is hearsay, here is a few examples, we were told grapes to be cut in half to prevent choking then heard whole is better, marmite is a no no as it is too salty, Bananas have to be fully ripe, no green at all, bread must be wholemeal and not seeded, cereals must be wholsome and not contain any additional ingredients than the cereal basic, rice is dangerous for cooking, snack or play because of food poisoning risk.... iIcan go on!!

This is just a few in addition to dietary allergies we already know about

I think i won't risk the trail mix idea, may play with other ideas instead

Thankyou for your help

Hi, reviewing what can and cannot be given for snack. A lot of what we know as "unhealthy" or "unsafe" are from hearsay and I wondered if there is an approved list? I've tried googling but can't find anything.

I ask because I like the idea of a trail mix (dried

fruit and seeds) but i don't know what seeds are

child friendly if any at all as they could be a

choking hazard?

Bit puzzled, please help lovely people!

You may find nutrition matters in early years

By the health promotion agency helpful!

Edited by Sox

Young children shouldn’t follow a high-fibre diet. Wholegrain foods such as wholemeal pasta, bread and brown rice may fill up your child too quickly, meaning they won't get all the calories they need. Introduce wholegrain foods gradually, so that by the time children are five they are used to a healthy adult diet. for this reason we only used whilte bread or brown, which is not the same as wholemeal, and occasionally had wholemeal to get them used to the taste..

eating well for under 5s aimed at childcare is a guidance / report on this. I have seen others but cannot find them at the moment.. will return if I do.

Nutritional guidelines for the early years while from Scotland may be a useful guidance

school food trust guidelines launched for early years..

a practical guide...

should all help .. lots of reading there!

Edited by Inge
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)