Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sharing Ways Of Keeping Evidence For The Profile

Hi everyone,

After just organising my computer files from the last year I has just come across to me just many very useful resources I have downloaded and used from all the kind people on here! So I thought it was high time that I shared too!!!

Last year we decided to trial recording children's progress through the profile in a slightly different way after finding the profile books slightly difficult to split up and flick through for 'handy' day to day use.

When we evaluated what we wanted to be able to see quickly and clearly from our assessment we decided on:

1) A format that clearly showed how we had made the judgement - sticky notes, photos, observations, evaluations, professional judgement etc

2) A4 size that could slot into a 'portfolio' where photos, sticky notes, obs were kept so that it was easy to show parents at any time what there child was acheiving and how.

3) 'Quick Reference' - a record of ticks with a code Au - autumn, Sp - spring, Su - summer (we did think about how the profile had a space for comments, however we felt that this was often just a repeat of what we had written on observations so we just refer straight to them)

4) Tailored around exisiting assessment systems that the class teacher used - at the top there are columns or 'types' of evidence which could be changed depending on how the class teacher went about collecting evidence.

We feel that it is is still 'a work in progress' and all use it in slightly different ways, I'm sure people have been doing lots of different things and it would be great to hear about what you are planning to do!!!

PSED.doc

CLL.doc

MD.doc

KUW.doc

PD.doc

CD.doc

:D:D:D

Hope your enjoying your hols (I am moving house on Saturday :D - am having a break from newspaper wrapping and cardboard boxes :o )

Wow

you have put alot of work into these charts - you are very thorough. You know that you don't need to record in this much detail for every point.

Hope the house move goes well

LGM

Thanks LGM - am still packing!!!

Thanks for you point about the 'amount' of evidence for the profile - I should have said before that we don't tick 'every' box in the row (we'd be there forever!!) and many are 'professional judgement' - for example in PSED however we have found that it is useful way to track where evidence is, especially as there are so many different types in different places!! We have found that it is good with our parents as you can show them photos, observations etc, that sometimes get forgotten about when you are trying to explain the profile!!!

These are fab Ladybug! They look really efficient - at a glance you can see a child's progress/where the evidence is. Fantastic - may just have to utilise these. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Ladybug,

This makes keeping track of evidence so much easier than the scribbling that I had done before- can see at a glance where evidence or judgements are missing at a glance (for those lovely inspectors as well as for myself of course!!!! Just hope I can keep up the good intentions and remember to fill in regularly!!!!

Lisa

Hello there,

I have just been reading about how to keep evidence and thought that i would share this with you - I must however add that it was not my idea initially I was told about this by a teacher who has been asked by our LEA to lead moderating settings and share her good practice.

She has a file for each of the 6 areas - inside this file is a poly pocket for each of the statements and in each of these poly pockets she puts an example of a benchmark for this point - what a child who is achieving this point will be expected to show.

I have started to collect evidence of this folder and am finding it quite manageable - it is giving me more of a focus of what i am looking for.

Alongside this i am also keeping a file with a poly pocket for each child to put in good example - post it note scribbles etc.

It took alongtime to write out all the statements but i have them on file if anyone would like them let me know and i'll see about putting them on here?

Sarah

Hello there,

I have just been reading about how to keep evidence and thought that i would share this with you - I must however add that it was not my idea initially I was told about this by a teacher who has been asked by our LEA to lead moderating settings and share her good practice.

She has a file for each of the 6 areas - inside this file is a poly pocket for each of the statements and in each of these poly pockets she puts an example of a benchmark for this point - what a child who is achieving this point will be expected to show. 

I have started to collect evidence of this folder and am finding it quite manageable - it is giving me more of a focus of what i am looking for.

Alongside this i am also keeping a file with a poly pocket for each child to put in good example - post it note scribbles etc.

It took alongtime to write out all the statements but i have them on file if anyone would like them let me know and i'll see about putting them on here?

Sarah

36400[/snapback]

Hi there everyone,

I will post these when i get back to my laptop which is in newcastle and i'm at me mums.

Steve will i be able to do it all in one post or will i have to do them seperately?

Hope they help

Sarah xoox

Steve will i be able to do it all in one post or will i have to do them seperately?

36437[/snapback]

Sarah,

You should be able to attach a number of files within one post now. If you have any difficulties PM Steve and he will be able to help you out. :)

Hello there,

Sarah

36400[/snapback]

Thanks Sarah

This corresponds with the advice I was given by the LEA when my Foundation Stage Profiles were moderated last year.

I was told there was no need to keep lots of evidence and 'I was doing far too much!' (HORROR)

The advisor told me to keep a couple of examples in the folder for each statement to show I know what I'm looking for but beyond this there was no need for evidence for each child and that it is down to the teacher's judgement that a child meets the criteria for each statement.

Once the files are prepared its easy to slip in evidence and is much simpler than how i was working previously.

Thanks for that Sarah, I will have a teacher working with me in September who is unfamilar with the profiles so this will be an exellent way for us to self-moderate. Once set up I'm sure it will be very simple to use too. Thanks again.

Gosh you have all been working so hard. I think this is what I meant in an earlier post by working together, there are some fantastic resources here, some of which I would certainly use however, I think our local EY has got it right - they actually give us two child profile books (not FS prodiles), one for the yellow and blue stepping stones and one for the green. They are printed booklets with all the stepping stones/ELGS in and we just have to write the name on the child on the front. No photocopying - a resource already for us, sent to us for the beginning of each year. How fantastic is that then. It seems a great pity that every LA does things differently, surely if they pooled their resources throughout the country we would all be better off and we wouldn't be re-inventing the wheel. As it is, we are dependent on the area we live in and the resources made available from each EYDCP.

Nikki

Ladybug - thanks so much for sharing - I have had a quick look at the sheets and I think they look FANTASTIC - so much clearer than what we use at the moment. They have made me feel all excited and enthusiastic about the new term! Thanks again. What a brilliant web site this is!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I would like to say a huge thankyou to you for sharing all of that hard work with us. I was also planning a foundation stage portfolio as this seems to be the way that moderators are suggesting. I will keep individual profiles but this will be more like an infant book where all the work is kept.

once again thanks for sharing this with us.

what a minefield it is though!

thanks

charlotte james

new member(ish) :):):)

• 2 weeks later...

Ladybug, Just a quick question - your downloads are fantastic - we have adapted them to suit us and they are so much better than the format we were using. We have noticed that the first 3 points on the Numbers as labels ..... are different than those in Profile Booklet - we think they are much better and have kept the changed ones - can you fill me in on the change (no doubt we will need to explain these to our Advisor/Moderator)

Many thanks.

PS Have tried to send you a message but have had no luck.

Ladybug

Have seen the file dividers you have posted and think they look brilliant. Can you please just clarify something for me - Do you use the files instead of individual evidence/observations for each child or as a moderating file. Thanks for your help on this one Gill

Big thank you Ladybug! I am currently studying early years and KS1 on a SCITT course. Today we had our first planning and observation lectures... I worked as a nursery assistant last year and was familiar with the stepping stones, enough not to drown in the information overload today anyway! I will direct my fellow SCITTs to your thread. I will try to find time to watch this forum - when I'm not doing the rest of my bedtime reading!

Hope you've become well settled in your new home...

Best wishes katycustard :o

unsure:

Hi everyone,

After just organising my computer files from the last year I has just come across to me just many very useful resources I have downloaded and used from all the kind people on here! So I thought it was high time that I shared too!!!

Last year we decided to trial recording children's progress through the profile in a slightly different way after finding the profile books slightly difficult to split up and flick through for 'handy' day to day use.

When we evaluated what we wanted to be able to see quickly and clearly from our assessment we decided on:

1) A format that clearly showed how we had made the judgement - sticky notes, photos, observations, evaluations, professional judgement etc

2) A4 size that could slot into a 'portfolio' where photos, sticky notes, obs were kept so that it was easy to show parents at any time what there child was acheiving and how.

3) 'Quick Reference' - a record of ticks with a code Au - autumn, Sp - spring, Su - summer (we did think about how the profile had a space for comments, however we felt that this was often just a repeat of what we had written on observations so we just refer straight to them)

4) Tailored around exisiting assessment systems that the class teacher used - at the top there are columns or 'types' of evidence which could be changed depending on how the class teacher went about collecting evidence.

We feel that it is is still 'a work in progress' and all use it in slightly different ways, I'm sure people have been doing lots of different things and it would be great to hear about what you are planning to do!!!

PSED.doc

CLL.doc

MD.doc

KUW.doc

PD.doc

CD.doc

:D  :D  :D

Hope your enjoying your hols (I am moving house on Saturday :D  - am having a break from newspaper wrapping and cardboard boxes xD )

36237[/snapback]

Thanks Susan! I'll have a go at navigating the site! When you say there's a dedicated site, are you referring to training? I'll have a quick lookie now, but may get back to you... There are 50 of us on the course - all fired up! Overwhelmed with information overload, but still on track, wanting to make a difference! I can't remember being so tired since having babies! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)