Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tidy Up Time

:) hi there

I was thinking of having music to let the children know when it is tidy up time. does anyone do this and have a good piece of music or song.

thanks

charlotte :)

Out of the Ark Music have a song called "tidy up Time" which we put on - as I have said before they do some fantastic music and some of their songs can be listened to on the web.

Children all follow like lambs when the song comes up - quite lively and upbeat and they soon get to recognise this - so if this things have gone a bit mad we stop and put this on.

Nikki

I too have been thinking about using a piece of music or getting the children to sing a 'tidy up song'. I was wondering about using The Flight of the Bumblebee as its such a busy piece of music.

I use a nice tranquil piece that has no words otherwise tidy up time gets noisy with voices singing or mine all go around shouting `tidy up time` which drives me mad because no one actually tidies up because they are so busy telling everyone else what to do.

I vary our tidy up time music each week, here is some of the music we use:

Indian

Chinese

Reggae

Scottish

Irish

Marching bands

Saxaphone music

Pans pipe

Classical

Rock and roll

The children know that no matter what type of music comes on that it is tidy up time. We don't use nursery rhymes at tidy up time as they use to sit down and join in with the songs (which is wonderful ... but not when we are encouraging them to tidy up).

Carol

Edited by Carol

We have used 'It's got to be perfect' by fairgtround attraction (came free with a weekend paper). It lasts just long enough (could usually do with an extra minute!) The children love seeing if their tidying is 'perfect' enough!

I've used flight of ther bumble bee (but they have to be in the right frame of mind to stay calmish!). Also a Rag, but I can't remember which one! I downloaded snippets from a website and put them onto my interactive whiteboard timetable, so the board can be tapped and they all begin to tidy (well, that is the theory!)

Edited by Guest

I have recently bought a series called "Baby Einstein" they are classical pieces many of which we all know and love but are not played with a full orchestra, most of them are played on glockenspiel and are light and fun. Our children love them. For more information look at Amazon etc. We have most of them and would recommend all of them.

Don't know if it's me green :o , but I've just tried the link and got planning for The Gingerbread Man not tidying up music - very interesting though xD .

Last year I used two pieces of music which I taped - senile dementia - can't recall what they were ..... I think both were from Snow White - I've left the tape in school. One could have been 'Whistle while you work' (is that from Snow White?) and that was followed by 'Hi ho hi ho it's off to work we go'.

My idea was that the first piece would give the children some warning that they had a few minutes before tidy up time - this meant that if they were making a model they would have enough time to get a label, write their name and a 'title' and take it to our 'display area'. By the time the second piece started they should DEFINATELY be starting to tidy up. I'm not sure if I'll continue this next year as the second piee started with a rather rousing bit of instrumental, followed by jocular singing which seemed to whip the children up and they then proceeded to march around singing rather than tidy up :( so I'll be viewing this post with interest.

Harricroft

I think that is the problem with most of these tidy up time songs/pieces of music Harricroft. The children love to dance and sing along and find it even harder to tidy up!!

We use the song from the Kindescope songbook and CD called Holding Hands-all songs are linked to PSED. Great idea in theory-not so great in practice when they all want to just sing and dance!!

Linda

Love all the suggestions so think I will make a tidy up music CD. I have been planning to show the children the part of Snow White where she tidies the dwarves house and then use that music. Not my idea but can't remember where I read it. On teaching practice I would look out for the best 'helping hands' and would write their names on the board, usually only 3 or so. They were then rewarded with a sticker. It's so funny how they watch to see whose name you are writing and they make sure you can see them tidying! Worked well so will probably try this again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)