Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

More Teaching In Preschool

Hi, We all know that the new EYFS is starting in September. I have a query. Can we sit down with children and write with them. For instance doing dots for their names.

Encouraging writing. I know the old EYFS we were'nt allowed to do dots etc with children in preschool.

Dorinda

I don't think the EYFS specifically says we can't do dots, for names, I personally don't do them, if you take your eye off them for a second it's highly likely they'll join them up wrong.

We have always taught children to write their name if they are capable. They have their name cards which they use if they want to write in a card for example, or the 2 year olds it will be their own version of mark making but our pre-schoolers all leave us being able to write or form recognisable letters of their name.

We teach them the correct letter formation in lots of ways finally moving to a pencil. I teach in reception once a week and it makes such a difference if they can write or try to write their name, and if the formation is correct even better! We also try and educate parents so 'a' is not a circle with a stick etc. Unteaching wrong formation is incredibly hard.

Guest LornaW

Oh please don't do dots! There are so many more exciting things to do with children as a preparation for writing. Write Dance is excellent and Shonette Bason has a programme called Squiggle while you wiggle. Look also at some of the activities Alistair Bryce-Clegg does on his blog Abcdoes. Writing needs children to fisrt have good gross motor control before we ask them to do fine motor control for joining dots. Jan White talks about pushing and pulling and gives examples of children sweeping up and moving heavy tyres around all much more exciting than joining dots!

When children have done all of the above they will begin to mark make and when they are ready you will find they are more than compentant enough to writte their own names.

More sooner does not mean they are better learners!

Lorna

I used to work in FS1.. and had a child come to us mid year who had been to a setting for a while in another area... she could write her name.. BUT before she could write it she had to draw all the dots.. she did it herself.. drew all the dots and then wrote her name using them... we could not reteach her or stop her from doing this no matter how hard we tried... we decided that definitely no dots for anything to do with writing...

did as lorna and concentrated on much more fun and exciting ways to develop the pre writing skills needed.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)