Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scale Points Grid

Hi

does anyone know where I can find a scale point grid for the new foundation stage?

trying to organise the profiles for the new school year...

thanks!

Hi devruss22 welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on making your first post.

I don't work in a school, but do you mean a document to record the 'points' for each of the ELGs a child has met? If so, there won't be one for the new EYFS because there won't be any points to record. Practitioners will be making a 'best fit' judgement against each Early Learning Goal and say whether they are 'emerging', 'expected' or 'exceeding' each ELG.

I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge will be able to explain it in more detail than I!

ok...thanks for the quick replies!

so when you say there are no more points anymore - how will it work with moderating at the end of the Reception year?

The same way but using the evidence to meet the ELGs in the new framwork (or not as the case may be). we don't know yet how moderation will be structured, it will be determined by the pilot this summer, currently being evaluated. Have a look in the revided statutuory framework forthe outline of eyfsp.

Cx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That is correct - moderation managers have been informed that it will be late Autumn.

However all you need is the ELGs - in the framework already and your observations. So there's no need to panic as you won't need the EYFSP details until you need to make the summative judgements at the end of the year.

On entry judgements wouldn't be coming from the EYFSp now so there are the dev matters docements to help judge attainment and progress.

cx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have managed to acquire a copy of the draft EYFS profile handbook, in which it states that Emerging = below ELG's/ Expected = the 17 ELG's from the 7 areas of learning & Exceeding = beyond the ELG's. I am just trying to create some kind of grid etc which is more managable, rather than having multiple sheets of paper for each of my 31 reception children. In the pupil learning journeys we have used the scales points grids previously - blown up to A3 upon which we have cross referenced all of our observations. I am looking to do similar this year, obviously linked to the new EYFS. I have so far gone onto x2 A3 pages per child - just having cut & pasted the 30-50 months sections & the ELG sections from each subject area. For a child whom I am aware if working at the level of a 2 year old in my class, I am using the development matters grid but I am worried this would be too unweildy for the whole class. Could I please ask if anyone is doing this, or am I totally off the mark. I would very much appreciate any responses or examples of what other reception teachers are using.

Many thanks

Helen.

You don't really need to create a grid in the same way as the scale points - you can track simply by looking at where the children are against the development matters ages and stages and record that summative judgement. The judgements for the end of reception are as described in the statutory framework against the 17 ELGs as a single summative assessment.

When the handbook is published we will know what language is finally going to be used as I know in the pilot there was feedback about the use of emerging to cover everything from birth to 40 - 60+ as a final judgement.

Cx

Our Local Authority has asked us to just make a judgment on where children are in the age bands and then decide whether they are high, secure or low within that band. I must confess though that while practical, it isn't nearly pretty enough for me, so I have made a cohort tracker not disimilar to the profile used by our local pre-school. I intend to highlight the statements as met in different colours to represent term. At the end of the year I will make a judgement as to whether the children have achieved the ELG's at the Emerging, Expected or Exceeding level. I will try to attach it, would love any feedback.Idiv Pupil Tracker booklet.docx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there here is something we have devised for reception children

How it words: each time an obervation etc is carried out we tick next to the statments that it covers and stick it in the childs learning journey. We then have abrief overview that can be added to as the year goes on. Also one the children have achieved the statment we highl;ihht it with a colour linked with the term. obviously the more ticks next to the statment the more evidence you have got- also not thet the statments provided in the eyfs are a block statment we have howvere broken it back up so we can track progress and see if they are EDor S. Hope this helps many of you!!please let us know. Also we have a mini one for each member of staff on thier clipboard so they can refer to it all the time Goodluck x

Please also no the grid provided we have just used bullet points to break down the big bulky statments we have now changed them to a,b,c, etc so that when we have an obs or piece of workwe can write 30-50 PD(physical development) M &H (a) hope that makes sense!

I know many of you might think this seems like more more but our school are keen to track prgoress termly so we had to devise something that will help us.

sorry I really cannot attach the document?? very similar to above document ive just noticed

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have been searching for a format (I previously made my own), but there is a pilot version for the EYFSP on the DfE website under their statistics section: http://www.education.gov.uk/researchandstatistics/stats/EYFS

There are both paper and online versions of the pilot grids available here: http://www.education.gov.uk/researchandstatistics/stats/EYFS/a00222897/eyfsp-2013

I have updated my format (which I used before finding this) using the pilot grid and the proforma in '2013 Early Years Foundation Stage Profile Handbook' Annex 1 page 51-54 (attached).

Hope it helps!

Ronell

EYFS Profile- ELG tracker- 2012-13.doc

2013_eyfs_profile_handbook.pdf

Edited by jdk

• 1 month later...

Can anyone out there help me with what I need to be sending up to first school in July. We are a pre-school and would like to send up EYFS profile type documents to our reception class teacher, Is there anything out there that you can recommend?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)