Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Help Please?

We have got a little who used to come to our setting up until march and she is coming back in september. She has been diagnosed as being deaf and there are a number of other issues as well.

I have still not done my SENCo training, our area senco is chasing it up but its been over a year now!

I assume I need to get parents permission to put her on a special needs register? Has anyone got a template of a form/letter for parents to sign?

I also expect she will need an IEP? Has anyone got a template for one?

I have done none of this before and I've left a telephone message and email for the area senco around 2 weeks ago and heard nothing!

A friend of mine suggested signposting her parents to a setting with experience of hearing impairments but we are a small village and mum doesn't drive and has told us before if we weren't there then she would just not send her to pre-school as there is no-where else nearby!

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated as I want everything ready for her in september.

Thanks

Hi, I am a SENCO will up-load IEP template tomorrow, but you must get your local authority person to come into your setting and support you - get them to come and observe the child in the setting, and they will then support you in creating targets. You will also need to invite all professionals involved to see her within your setting to get their advice to impliment the IEP especially SPLT - they are really wonderful and will give you lots of advice. If they are unable to come in, they will give you a report where they will highlight targets - you will need to do lots of visual clues and timetables so the child can tell you what they want to do. Will upload IEP tomorrow.

I don't have much experience but the hearing impairment team were really great when we had a little boy with us who was partially deaf bilaterally.

Also the NDSC online we're very useful for information.

Keep pushing regarding getting in touch with your area SENCO as you will undoubtedly need support for your staff as well as for the little girl accessing your services.

I think the mum who doesn't drive will need local support as much as possible as she too will trying to come to grips with the needs for her child.

I think you need professional input to gage whether your setting is going to be a good place for the little girl to thrive. Is she entirely deaf? The other issues you mention, are they likely to impact on your other children?

I am surprised that a professional of some sort involved with the family has not already been in touch with you, so maybe if you could, you could ask the mum for some contact details so you can at least chat with someone who knows more about the situation. This person might be able to help you until your area SENCO finds time to support you.

Edited by Scarlettangel
  • Like 1

klc106 ...i know you have had a bit of experience with this child already but i wonder if a home visit might be helpful. You need some time with these parents to find out what has already been done and what is going to be done. There might be all sorts of people involved on the side lines that you don't know about. I don't have much experience with hearing impairments but in this area we have a sensory impairement group which helps settings. Don't panic too much ...you will learn quickly what works and what doesn't...and we're all here too! I don't think i've got my IEP template here(i'll go and have a look) but if you google it there are lots of examples that come up. You need to make sure they are SMART targetted (small.manageable,acheivable, relevant and time related) (....lots of slightly different versions of the meanings but the general idea is the same!)....in other words not huge leaps but little steps, but to be honest next steps should be done like this so you could just use your normal system! I am not aware of any 'register' for sen....unless you are talking about a statement . This will be needed for this child (so that you can get funding probably!) because she will have a condition that will effect her schooling and will require special assistance. Nearly all of this stuff is irrelevant at this stage though...what you need to concentrate on is getting to know her, settling her and observing her. Try to build up a picture of her likes/dislikes reactions/can do's/can't do's speech etc you will need all of these when the support systems kick in to action....i'm sure your senco will take an interest when the term starts but if not keep ringing!!!

• Like 1

Hi you may want to consider having a section within your forms to for consent to liaise with other agencies whilst any child is with you. It saves lots of time if you already have this permission especially when a need isn't recognised before a child arrives with you. As for support initially lots of good advice already, keep chasing Senco Coordinator, help settle her with lots of visual support, find out whether she uses Bsl or Makaton and try to look for some training in your area. Coming down to her level face to face is incredibly important too, good luck.

• Like 1

klc - do you mean the SEN/EAL Register you keep in the setting - ours is just a list of the children who have SEN or EAL with IEP's and it is kept in the front of the SENCO file and updated regularly. You don't need parents permission for this as it is just basic information.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)