Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ppa Cover

Hi,

trying to make sure we are covering the new EYFS frame work correctly for Sept. Can my class be taught by a HLTA for PPA cover? When i read paragraph 3.37 I am pretty sure that they can't. Has anyone confirmed this with their LEA?

Guest ChunkyMan

My understanding is that a HLTA or your NNEB + TA2 can take your PPA cover as it is only once a week but I could be wrong.....

Cx

My Understanding is that it is at the discretion of the head. At my school several of the more experienced TAs do the PPA cover and none of them are HLTAs. Each TA is supported in the class while they are teaching by another TA borrowed from a class. The TAs involved approached the head and asked of they could do it instead of the bought in supply teachers that we had for PPA previously as they felt it offered better continuity for the children (it is so much better!) our. Head looked into the legalities and it was apparently at her discretion, the only thing they can't do is take PE.

Deb

What is the reason they can't cover PE ? That seems to be the area I see Ta's covering most with reception class, it does worry me that in 6 weeks children go from being cared for by 4/5 early years qualified staff to 2 adults, and when teacher not in class 2 adults with no early years qualifications between them and that's fine as long as its at the heads discretion.

hi!

I am a HLTA and am currently waiting for my EYPS result.

When I did HLTA we were told cover couldn't include PE for Insurance reasons. In my school however, HLTAs who also have a recognised PE/ Sports coaching qualification do cover PE but not in reception.

I have covered nursery PPA for 18 months with another TA as my TA! However, the TA does not have an EY qualification and I think the new EYFS makes it clearer that it needs to be someone with a relevant L3. Last year the EY advisor told the Head it was her discretion who did it with me. The nursery teacher had her PPA on the premises but in the office!

In main school, including reception, as I understand it PPA is planned cover and so must be done by a HLTA or someone qualified to that level. Other TAs can cover for unplanned absences in an emergency. I think the 'rules' have often been interepreted to suit the needs of the school!

I suppose the big concern could be that a HLTA can cover reception without their being any legal requirement to have another adult at all. I am covering reception PPA in September, but as there are 2 reception classes working together, there will be another teacher and at least 1 TA - luckier than most!

• 8 months later...

As a HLTA i regularly cover teacher absence due to illness or training or any other issue that may cause them to be out of class. As it is in the class that i am regularly in i find this is better than using a supply teacher who doesn't know the children. There have been times when i have taken the class 4 days in one week but surely as long as i am ok with this then it's ok.

On a different matter should we be taking work home to do or should we just do what we can within our contracted hours?

I welcome any views on this.

I get 10% of the time I cover as HLTA for my own PPA - in reception for 1 afternoon this amounts to 12 minutes, in nursery 18 minutes, so neither is much use!!

So far as taking work home, no we shouldn't. Teacher's contracts and pay reflect that they have to do as much as is required to get the job done(!) so the majority have to work at home. As TAs we're paid only for the time in school, so no allowance for working beyond that.

However, that's not to say many TAs don't ........

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)