Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help With Staff Policy Not To Give Children Gifts

Hi I need some help. We are a playgroup. Each year the playgroup buys a gift for the leavers and we take a photo and all sign it to go in their learning journal. This year two members of staff have took it on themselves to send a card to all leavers from themselves and a present to thier key children. I found out from another member of staff who now feels bad cos she has not done anything.

We dont do this because of the child protection issues singleing children out and also from a staff point of view feeling that they have to send a gift.

I need to update my staff handbook to include this.

Any one have one already?

many thanks

Buttercup

Well it's too late for this year, but it's obviously something that needs to be addressed at your first meeting next year. Perhaps next time you could have a team meeting to plan what will be bought for the children and chat about treating everyone the same, so if different books are being bought for different genders/age groups etc, at least agree that all the two year old are getting 'The Gruffalo' or whatever and the three year olds getting 'It's a bear'. Once this decision is made, you could reinforce the message that all the children have to be treated the same, with no-one being given more than agreed.

Of course, if they choose to buy something themselves for children and give them the gift out of Preschool, there's not a lot you can do about it, really.

how horrible they are to do this. my friend had similar done to her. she is reception teacher, and was asked to hand out something to all the class at end of day on last day of summer term, and not told what it was. she opened one for an absentee when they had all gone home and was horrified to find it was a present for each, signed from the 2 morning TA's and her name and afternoon TA's names not included. what would the parents have thought. we could have done with a policy!!!!!!!! some people are ignorant and rude. i would never give anything without all children getting it and signed from us all. not very team spirited..........

We've had similar experiences one key worker seems to have to 'out do' the rest of the staff with gifts, really annoying its like she's trying to over compensate for her poor performance the rest of the year makes me cross.

we give out something little (party favours - this year it's a plastic sectioned snake toy plus a bouncy ball) at the end of the Leavers' Party. I buy them for all the children who are leaving (the others don't get anything) and that's it. At Christmas, we all sign a card each for the children - again I pay for the card. I don't have a policy but luckily it seems to be understood that people do not buy gifts. Sounds like a total pain, Sooty :/

We've had similar experiences one key worker seems to have to 'out do' the rest of the staff with gifts, really annoying its like she's trying to over compensate for her poor performance the rest of the year makes me cross.

Thats what i dont want to happen it to become competitive.