Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ey Isolation?

Froglet

It has been a horrible day at school which isn't why I'm here but may mean I'm feeling unnecessarily anxious. I just heard today that as I have a YR only class for the first time next year I won't need to take them to assembly or out to play. Part of me is really pleased - I think it will be easier to run the day and better for the children. But... I often feel alone as it is - I'm the only teacher in school with any EY experience so no one else ever really knows what I'm talking about. Now I feel like I won't get to see anyone else at all (lunchtimes disappear in a whirlwind). Am I worrying over nothing? If any of you do experience this how do you deal with it?

I don't work in a school, but I just wanted to say firstly that I agree with you that not having to take your reception class into assemblies will be much better for your children, and for you!

As for your feelings of isolation, can you forge some links with the year one teacher, if you get on well? Sometimes the way to begin to resolve a problem like this is sharing your fears - perhaps if people understand how you're feeling they'll be able to help identify ways you can get some support from your colleagues?

However, since I don't work in a school environment, that might be a rubbish idea. Either way, I didn't want to just read and run.

Hope tomorrow is a much better day!

Are you a 1 form entry school? It can be hard - I was in the nursery with totally different times to the school, in a different building AND being the DH as well!

Have you talked to the HT about this? With reception the times for the day are often more aligned to the rest of the school so you may have to be tougher on yourself and carve out specific time when you will do things such as go to the staff room for lunch...agree to eat with a friend at a certain time or catch up with a cup of tea after school finishes. Sometimes you have to make it happen as everyone is so busy with their own class that they don't notice that others may be feeling out of synch.

It is also the end of the year and everyone is exhausted - things may seem better after a break from it all and you are refreshed!

Cx

Aww it can be hard on your own in EY. How about making links with Y1 like Maz says or how about Y6? Maybe some buddy roles with reading stories etc. I've seen this done in schools before.

you are lucky your head doesn't make you go to assemblies. our does. i'm in nursery at mo, but would hate it if moved to yr R and children having to go to half hour assembly daily. then it is hard to get them to sit for carpet time before or after this. and it's at half 9 so ruins reception teachers morning..... so believe you me you are lucky. is your TA experienced/well qualified? i am lucky that 1 of mine is, as we are mornings only and miss breaktime with other staff. and don't bother to go to staffroom. it is an absolute dream to have 3 or 31/2 hours to fit everything in, as i did in my last school with reception. you need to ensure that you and TA/NN go to staffroom for 15 mins every other day. any local school you can link with? especially if they have nursery and reception.... sure you'll feel better tomorrow. use this forum too. it has been great for me! x

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it. Today really was the first I knew about playtime (I knew about assembly and was already getting my head round that. I think there are probably just too many things happening at once and yes Catma you're right - we're all exhausted. Our current Y1/2 teacher is leaving at the end of this term - she's only been with us since Easter but she's wonderful and I will really miss her. The new person I have met and am a little nervous about (which sounds really horrible but is more about how I cope with new people than her specifically). The staff I get on best with are pregnant so will be leaving in the not too distant future. People in school who I would normally talk to are seriously unapproachable at the moment (part of what made today horrible).

And yes, we are 1 form entry! In fact it's more like half a form, hence the reason this is my first time with YR alone. I've always had a Y1/R mix before. I know this is a good thing and yes I know I'm lucky that my HT has decided I don't need to go to assembly I'm just a bit overwhelmed by it all. I think the prospect of YR alone is exciting but I also feel as if I will have no excuses and nothing to hide behind either if it all goes wrong. That's pathetic isn't it? Ah well, just ignore me. I'm sure all will be resolved I just needed to let off steam a little.

Thank you for listening!

you might surprise yourself at how well you do. and when you do, no one else can take the credit. sounds a mess at your school. you might be better off out of it all... and new teacher will probably turn out to be helpful, friendly and may be experienced in ey. have you got a TA or NN? how many children? most reception staff worrying about september with new framework and lack of information. please don't worry. sure tomorrow will be better. it's a lot to have sprung on you in last week. and late for head to tell you class you are in. ours says at start of june. it is hard for you xx

I love my job as a reception teacher in a 1 form entry school but one aspect of my job that I love is the banter and giggles in the staff room. I need to have that break and change of scenery if only for 15 mins! We all do as teaching can be isolating. I know in theory it is better for the children not to have to break off and continue their child initiated but what about you? You have been told that you don't have to take them to assembly or playtime but not that you can't- why don't you build up to maybe having playtime once a week so you can have a coffee with your colleagues? we are a c of e school so my receptions are expected in assembly from about 3 weeks in the year but i would love it if we didn't have to go (as so much goes over their heads) You sound like you are suffering a little from end of termitis -this is the time of the year when everyone is on their last legs counting down the days and it is so incredibly busy and where big changes are always unsettling. Try not to worry about next year -you have been fine with a mixed year group which i think is much harder than a straight year group in my experience so there should be no problem with just reception. changes in staffing can be unsettling but I imagine before you know it you will be a cohesive team. Do you have a foundation cluster group locally? Could you set one up? I meet with the reception teachers from5 local schools every half term (we organised the group ourselves) and we all find it really helpful to bounce ideas off each other as we are all in the position like you that no one else in our school really understands the foundation stage.

Debx

Deb - I like the idea of building up to going out to play and something that I would do towards the end of the year anyway as transition time. I also intend to take mine in to the first assembly of the year and the last of each term as that's usually a bit of a singalong and just good fun. We'll also go to the usual Christmas/Harvest/Easter and celebration assemblies. We are a C of E school too and I'm Collective Worship co-ordinator so feel I need to go at least sometimes to see what's going on (although I don't necessarily have to take my class)! I'm intending to have an 'act of worship' in my class room each day to help tick those boxes i.e. a few moments of peaceful 'thinking/reflection' time, a nice story/piece of music etc and a prayer!

Definitely end of termitis and the unapproachable person at school was a little more normal today which helped.

We don't have a foundation cluster group locally but in the last couple of years have had to go to various cluster moderation meetings all using APP materials. The last one was evidently the final straw for us EY people (APP being useless to us, we 'moderated' using EYFSP in minutes flat and then spent the rest of the time chatting but at the last meeting tables had been set up for every level and a plate of biscuits put on each one and only when their own nursery staff arrived did they realise they'd missed EYFS out!) several of us went back and moaned at our heads, they shared this at their HT cluster meeting and decided that at the next moderation the FS people wouldn't be involved but would get together to chat!

My HT is very EY friendly but still has an upper KS2 background so needs a bit of training now and then!

I'm not a teacher, but work in a pre-school which has close links with our local primary and I do know that the Early years class don't join in whole school assemblies until late in the summer term when they also have their own sharing assembly for the whole school (about 100 pupils reception through year 6)

The EY also have their own little play area so don't join the main playground until the summer term either. We visit one day every week and the EY teacher comes out after her break as play is supervised by 2 TA's (only 15 children in their EY class).