Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Please Help Im Going Round In Circles!

Morning

I seem to be going round in circles trying to get my head around this!!!

FS2 teacher .... Will you be planning activities specifically for the 3 prime areas aswell as the 4 specific areas or are you meeting the 3 prime areas through links in the specific areas and through continous provision?

Am in Nursery so I will be planning around the three prime areas, as a main focus and linking in the specific areas through continuous provision. We have been told that the prime areas are to be the main focus, and the specific areas will lead off from these as the children become strong in the prime areas, sort of a natural development thing if that helps ?

I think in reception you will need to be considereing all of them as there are 17 very specific ELGs to be assessing against and if you don't have evidence across all 17 then it will be difficult. Just like you consider PSED, PD and CLL alongside KUW/CD and PSRN now in the current framework I can't see that it would be particularly different.

Many of the specific areas have development matters statements starting well below 40 - 60+, so I see it as working across all the aspects relevant to age and stage as described on the continuum. If we start to put arbitrary barriers to when we will do something, ie not beore reception, then I think we run the risk of not giving some children the chance to succeed.

Morning

I seem to be going round in circles trying to get my head around this!!!

FS2 teacher .... Will you be planning activities specifically for the 3 prime areas aswell as the 4 specific areas or are you meeting the 3 prime areas through links in the specific areas and through continous provision?

huh??

i will be planning for the individual child!! (sorry not helpful really :oxD

I agree finsleymaid it is about individuals, if children coming to us at 2 1/2yrs and are secure in the 3 prime areas then we will look at all 7 for them, if not then we will concentrate on those. kind of thinking that most of my children will be being planned for in all areas by term 3

From what I have gathered from our training is that you have to plan for all 7 areas, prime and specific, but when you are planning for the specific areas you need to plan what objectives from the prime areas can also be met. For example, if the children are doing a writing activity then they will also be physical development - handle equipment and tools effectively, including pencils for writing.

As we seem to be talking about reception here then I would still say you will be planning for all 7. The specific areas will require teaching of skills and the prime areas are still assessed as an ELG at the end of the key stage so needs to be considered in terms of development from on entry to end of key stage expectations.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)