Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tummy Writing

Hi

Has anyone heard of tummy writing for reception children? I know they have to lay on the floor and use large pices of paper and write/draw to music, it develops arm and shoulder muscles. does anyone know the official name for it?

thanks

sounds like "scrimbling" to me which is write dance, although I haven't actually used it myself....it's still on my to do list to give it a try!! I got a copy of write dance from ebay if I remember correctly.

It does sound like write dance but you can develop those muscles quite simply by wrapping lining paper around a table in a big loop and the children lie underneath and draw above them selves onto the paper. As they finish their bit just roll the paper round to the next area

we often have rolls of lining paper we roll out and tape on floor with masking tape - i find it always the boys who come down and love to draw and mark make , we have some lovely photos and always a group of boys , i get down there with them . I am always trying to convince team members that these are great ways to encourage mark making and strengthen muscles, couple are quite old school and beleive that it should all be :angry: done at a table and before they get to school should be writing !!

thanks

we do write dance already, but heard at a meeting about tummy writing to encourage muscle development . We want to do some sort of different writing /muscle development every day to encourage boys writing.

thanks

today was another of those days - lots of roll used by all and some fantastic creative ideas - the girls decided to be ballerinas and use their paper as an area to dance on - marking each others steps and twirls!! we had numbers, names, scary monsters, aliens all fab mark making creations

• 1 month later...

I am going on a course in sept called 'squiggle while you wiggle' im thinkin it is going to be something similiar to what is talked about on here. Will let you know how it goes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)