Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Next Steps

Seeing as i got such a great response to my last question, I thought I'd post again about another current issue at work, and see how others do it.....

This time it's next steps under fire. We currently do them termly, so 3 a year, and they are quite in depth. It spans over 2 A4 pages, with the following headings, all about me, which is a third of A4, aims (what the next steps are), strategies (how the next steps will be worked on ) and how these strategies will be met (they are long to write, boring to look at and take a long time to write and read). It's almost repetitive as well.

The girls dread doing them as they take a long time, so am just wondering how often other settings do their next steps, and how? What method do you use?

Many thanks

as a lot of our planning is based on next steps, so that it is individualised for the children, it would be difficult for us to do them so infrequently. In my setting they would need to be current and relevant to the present time! So we do them at staff meetings one every 2 weeks (and review them on the alternate week...in case the children have moved on quickly) they consist of an observation about what the child is doing now.....what we want them to do next (possible line of development) and how we are going to get ther (ideas for planning) they then have a review at the bottom to say whether we have met the 'target' or we need to do it again/make it easier or more difficult! It works well for us because we have a very mixed group and some do 2 sessions a week/others do 5 (i don't do full

days at the mo!)

Our planning relates to their next steps, but our next steps are usually large ones, such as name writing, working on psrn skills, sharing skills, rhyming etc,rather tha smaller ones they can reach weekly, if that's makes sense. I guess our next steps need to be smaller aims....

we work weekly to the small next steps which are part of the childs PLOD sheets but we set bigger next steps which are shared with parents every half term, i have attached a copy of the proforma

next steps assessment.doc

Edited by max321

Each child is assessed termly according to a schedule - once assessed their next steps are written on to the followings weeks planning sheet. For instance if a child is interested in Firemen play and we want them to mark make we may put a fire station in the role play area with clipboards in, make badges etc

As well as this there is a grid with all the children on - it has their current interests, next steps and suggested activities so that all staff are aware of what is being worked on.

Although children are only assessed formally once per term they are all observed and 'sticky noted' constantly. We wouldnt be able to do it any other way as we have over 80 children, 25 staff all doing different hours and days.

Our planning relates to their next steps, but our next steps are usually large ones, such as name writing, working on psrn skills, sharing skills, rhyming etc,rather tha smaller ones they can reach weekly, if that's makes sense. I guess our next steps need to be smaller aims....

OK Lizr i guess the problem with working like this is that the next steps are not really smart targeted ...i only set targets that are acheivable in a small space of time so i probably wouldnt say 'write their name' is a bit too complicated i might break it down to write the initial letter/write 3 out of 5 letters/then write all name (probably a bad example but i'm sure you know what i mean) that way the children have something quick to acheive which is good for their self esteem and easier to 'teach'

new next step.docx

we do next step planning every fortnight for the whole group...this forms the basis of our planning. We will review it the second week to see if we need to change anything. This way all the children have got an individualised plan and we have 2 weeks to acheive the objective (some only do 7 .5 hours a week)

Ive enclosed a copy ( my planning is kept very simple on purpose...otherwise i find it doesn't happen!)

• Like 1

Hi

Ours is really simple. It is fully updated with a new sheet every term but is used as a working document though the term (if that makes sense). The targets are small steps within the six (soon to be seven) areas of learning e.g. child's interest is cars then we could have a next step in psrn of counting, so we will count cars in a traffic jam etc. I have attached the sheet we use.

next steps plain doc.docx

Hi

Ours is really simple. It is fully updated with a new sheet every term but is used as a working document though the term (if that makes sense). The targets are small steps within the six (soon to be seven) areas of learning e.g. child's interest is cars then we could have a next step in psrn of counting, so we will count cars in a traffic jam etc. I have attached the sheet we use.

thank you for this Lou actually this would work as a grouping of interests for planning and provision as well particularly as it lends itself to be a working document

We have just been advised to do something very similar to what Lou has described. I posted about it earlier on another thread but I don't know how to add the thread as a link - sorry. The post is called PLODs and next steps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)