Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sen Unsupported

We have a delightful little girl who after a year with us, has on board, a whole team of early years professionals supporting her. Mum has been keen to get all the help offered and has attended all meetings etc etc. Now the child is eligable for 1-1 funding in September!!! Hurrah we think... 12 hrs support....and boy do we need it!! We have spread ourselves like marmite this last year supporting 4 sen children plus this little girl who is a climber and has no concept of boundaries! Passed Mum the paperwork to sign.....told her deadline date for posting....and yes.....shes not brought it back!!! Arrrrgh! So now, with skeleton staff in September we face another year of pouring sooooo much time into keeping this child safe let alone PECS, IEP and SALT delivery!! Boo hoo! : (

Got to go.......feel a scream coming on......

Have you spoken to the area senco? budgets are set in place april to april so there should still be money in the pot ...why not ask them if they can extend the deadline. Our lea tends to be quite flexible and they have info from us as to who will need what and when (if we know!). Otherwise if she has an identified need have you tries to access grants from the local charities that support her condition, or even the parish funds from your local church. Your borough may have other funding streams that you can access too but it's sometimes difficult to find what and who to apply to.

Hmmm thanks Finleysmaid for your advice. Our Area Senco just as baffled as us?!?! We both think that Mum has panicked now she has the form to sign and sees her little girl as being 'labelled' - her words. The frustrating thing is we cannot apply for support without parental consent and yet all through the process she has been on board! Totally understand that accepting your child has additional need ( in this case watchful waiting for possible ASD ) but honestly, it does make our capabilities of ensuring ALL childrens needs are met very hard when so much time is diverted to one or more children with sen......with no additional support. : (

Hopefully area senco will throw some weight our way but our LEA very strict on following protocol/ redtape on these issues.... "on the desk by Friday or forget it !"

i guess after this year being such hard work, rather than enjoyable.... oh to seeing an activity through to the end without distraction.....Im feeling pretty gutted for all my great staff at the thought of....'here we go again'! Tra la la....

sorry hadn't really read that she had done this deliberately...just thought she'd forgotten! (like most of mine do :blink: ) i guess all you can do is stress that this will give her daughter the help she needs to prepare her for her next step... i usually go down the line of oh this will help soo much and we can do x y and z to help her progression . I do sometimes think that if you have managed the situation for a while then the parents don't realise how much difference that money can make and sometimes we need to be honest with them :huh: good luck :rolleyes:

If mum has done this deliberately then you and your senco need to have a chat with her and do as others have said previously. . . tell her the truth.

To be honest if you are spreading yourselves thin as I am sure you have been doing you are putting the child and her peers at risk.

Whilst I dont want to suggest that you tell mum you cant continue offering her a place she has to realise about safety as well as moving her child on.

Its very tricky.

I am not saying it isnt hard for the Mum but in your position you really should (I think) be looking at the bigger picture.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)