Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mood Music

Can anyone suggest any pieces of music that the children could listen to, that could be described as happy or sad music? We shall be talking about emotions in our topic on "Ourselves".

Anita

Saint Sans' Carnival of the Animals has some varied pieces - The Swan is quite sad in contrast to, say, The Asses (and they're not too long!). The William Tell overture is also very jolly. I think it's quite hard to find sad music as opposed to romantic music. Would the Moonlight Sonata be any good?

You may find it easiest to borrow some mood music CDs from the library...

South African township music - very lively and uplifting, e.g. anything by the Mahotella queens, which can be found on several compliations under the title "the indestructable beat of soweto" (Earthworks). Also Miriam Makeba singing Pata Pata, (it's the one used for the flora advert, or was it benecol - can't remember). Sad is a bit trickier isn't it! One of the Planets suite might be quite slow and sad - have an aural memory of that, or maybe a sea symphony, Vaughn Williams?? A mozart requiem night also be pretty sad? :o

We use a CD called something like Little Pieces - I have a feeling it's from Care and Ed - RACHEL ARE YOU READING THIS?????

It's put together by a lady called Flora Sheringham who runs dance workshop courses.

I'm in Cambs by the way.

Can anyone suggest any pieces of music that the children could listen to, that could be described as happy or sad music? We shall be talking about emotions in our topic on "Ourselves".

Anita

35718[/snapback]

Try the Music for different moods page from Excellence and Enjoyment: Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning. It gives a great list for a variety of feelings plus some good resources for PSED.

http://www.bandapilot.org.uk/pages/seal/do...5_res_music.pdf

What about the soundtack from Ennio Morricone's film The Mission - one of my favourite soundtracks or what about Katchachurian - Sparatacus - if you are old enough its the music they used for the Onedin Line - starts off very slow and builds up to a tremendous crescendo - I love it which reminds me I'm turning the tv off and putting some music on.

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)