Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Showing Next Steps On Planning

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had any examples of how they show children's next steps on their planning.

We involve the children in the weekly planning and we share observations between the team regarding individual children however it's been pointed out that we need obvious links on our plans to show that we are using the next steps and then revisiting them.

Does that make sense?! It's been a long term.

If anyone can share an example or give any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Becs

Not got any plannig to upload, but our planning shows children's names highlighted on activities which are their next step targets. The idea is that we can quickly identify who would benefit from a particular acitivity as we set up each day. We also have a sheet up inside and one facing outside (if that makes sense) with the children's next steps as a quick reference.

Not sure if that's any help.

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Names are a good idea. We need to find a manageable way of identifying children's nexts steps. We do plan from them but obviously don't make it obvious.

Thanks again.

Becs

for years i have sort of fitted the childrens next steps into the activities but iknew something was wrong with that, just couldn't put my finger on it! then reading a recent blod on ABC does i realised that i needed to start with the children first. So my keycarers do their next steps for their children and then we sort them onto the following plan.....

Short term planning forum.docx

then the environment plan is created from this (so that we know what needs to go where and why and who for!!) that way there is no 'bung it out planning ' going on!!

We plan for the inside and outside equally as we have free flow,

Medium term planning..27-2-12 for forum.docx

ofsted loved the way we did this (i had only changed it a couple of weeks before and had a real panic about it!) but what it does for us is put the children at the forefront of all we do!

(this is a shortened version as we have 54 children )

• Like 5

Yes I like this finleysmaid. I might try this for the following term. Do you have a focus activity as well?

yes there is one adult led activity a day (inside or out...we can't cover 2 because of our space) but this is based on what the needs of the children are...not just what we fancy doing! so if i have a large percentage needing fine motor skills activities then we will focus on that first (hope that makes sense!!) but we will also be changing the environment to suit....so we might have several areas with fine motor skills activities..

Finleysmaid I need your advice please, just filling in first weeks planning based on my key children.1) Do you evaluate key children 2)We have all resources on trolleys now but is it best to have less activities out only using the ones that are on medium term plan?

the evaluation is done on their next step sheet (this is the keycarers paperwork) so the original ob is on there and then the evaluation (we only set next steps every 2 weeks because not all of our children are full time.)

all of our resources are available all of the time....because we have little storage!!! so we will set up using the information from the planning.The children can change the activity if they want, we just need to keep in mind what their next step is and try to weave it in if poss. But you will notice that nothing is set in stone, these plans are available to all staff so that they know everyones next step, the idea is that the emphasis is on the next step not the activity.

So something like big painting outside might be set up for the thursday but can be done in lots of different ways and will be repeatedif if not acheived or needs more practise.

Gosh this alls sounds complicated when you write it down doesn't it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)