Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios In A Unit?

I know its probably been asked lots of times but how many staff do you have? I've been asked to work in a unit with 22 Reception and 19 Nursery children (in September, so that's before the January and Easter intakes) overseen by 1 teacher and two teaching assistants. Can that work?? Is that covered by the 30 reception/13 Nursery ratios?? I watched the children outside today and it just seemed unsafe. How do you run your day for a mixed group with 3:41? Yikes. Please advise.

• 3 years later...

Turns out - as Im doing it - you need just one teacher and TA as long as you don't go over 30 as then it triggers a second teacher. I currently have 13 Rec / 22 N split into 22AM session / 20PM session and we have 1 teacher, 3TAs (paid at 1 xLevel 3/ 2 at level 1).

• 2 years later...

HI, I know this is an old post. 

I currently have 18 in my reception class and there are 6 in the nursery class (all over 3) with their own teacher. and a TA between us

Am I correct in thinking that for the odd half hour or so, (so the teacher can have a break after doing a duty, or for one off cover)  the 2 classes can be combined with 1 qualified teacher and a TA? 

Thanks for your help, as it is an ongoing debate at work, and I cannot make head or tail of the guidance on ratios anymore! lol

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, SmileyPR said:

I am interested in this topic as well. I haven’t seen new posts about Foundation Stage Units, so I am wondering if they still exists in the UK and how it’s being managed. 

We have a mixed Nursery & Reception class at our school - in fact there are quite a few in our area.  I'm not in the classroom I hasten to add - I'm admin now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)