Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Linking Sounds And Letters

Hi all

I know for most of us the main focus will now be on the new EYFS but I just had on small question about linking sounds and letters paperwork.

Does anybody use the sheets which have all the activities and strands on them that are for highlighting when children can do that particular strand or have done a particular activity within the programme?

Obviously we use the programme but we track it through with observations, learning journeys and planning. The paperwork seems rather a lot for what is essentially one strand in one area of the whole, although I acknowledge that it is important.

Just wondered what other peoples opinion was.

I agree Johanna, we do have the L&S assessment sheets but to be honest they were started with good intentions but never completed. As you our observations and assessments feed into the EYFS development matters because that takes into account all the letters and sounds work we do not just 'letters and sounds'. So I feel inclined to ditch them.

All the schools our children feed into want is basically a ticklist of the areas we've covered. I used to do a lot of note-taking and things about children's progress, but don't any more, I just chat to the teacher when they visit to meet the children.

thank you for replies :-)

Echoes my thinking really. We do so much with initial sounds, rhythm and rhyming, music, phonics work etc... both with and without the suggestions in the L&S booklet,however I had heard of one setting near me that used the sheets extensively, had streamlined all the children in little folders with all the activities from the booklet that was most appropriate for the group and resource check lists and so on there was so much work for this alone.

As a setting we feel we don't need or want to use them as it wont tell us any more about the children than we already know through our other methods of tracking was just good to hear that we were not alone. :-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)