Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

Hi all,

Those fof you that have done or are doing the foundation degree, can you estimate how many hours per week you have to put into for me???? :D

Maz........ have you had any news??????? :o

Maz........ have you had any news??????? :o

35348[/snapback]

Yes, I got a 'phone message this afternoon telling me I had been accepted! I'm assuming from your post that you've been accepted too??

I'm desperately trying not to think about how much time its going to take!

Maz

HI

I am doing the foundation degree with the OU made up of six courses. Each course has an estimated weekly study time with it but it varies from course to course. One of the course I am doing at the moment (E115) recommends it requires 18 hours of study a week. The beauty of OU for me is the flexibility and as long as assignments are in on time I study when, where and how I want to. Some weeks that may mean files stay on the shelf and others when I am burning midnight oil to get things done!!

I have one final course to do next year and that's it - yipppppeeeee!! (hopefully of course!!)

Has the foundation degree taken over the NVQ 4 in EYrs childcare. Have asked local college, OU,EYrs, PSLA and no one seems to know.

Net x

Hi Geraldine

I have just signed up to start the foundation degree in Feb 06 to do E123 ... did you do one course at a time as I have been told you can do 60 points at a time or even 120 points for full time.

E123 30 points

E124 30 points

E115 60 points

Then 60 points from level 1 option 1 and 60 point from level 2 option 2

P.S my deputy is doing the foundation dgeree at college but the OU will be easiler for me due to other work commitments.

Thanks

Carol

Hi Carol

It's up to you how many courses you study together! I started in Feb 2003 with E123 - as I had not so much as written an essay for many years I started with this course on its own. It was fine and I felt I could take on more than 30pts really!

In 2004 I did E124 and E243 together ( 60 points in all) and it was OK just a bit of juggling with study when two assignments were due in close together.

This year I started E115 in February (60 points) and E230 in May (30points)

I now just have E215 to do next year and that's it!

IN total you need 240 points for the degree which is made up of 120 points at level 1 and 120 points at level 2.

Level 1 courses are compulsory for the degree E123, E124 and E115 and from 2006 you have to have completed E123 and E124 before you can do E115!

The 'options' relate to level 2 courses. E215 is compulsory and is worth 60 points so the only choice is the remaining 60 points at level 2.

You can either do one course worth 60 points (Route 1) or 2 courses each worth 30.(Route 2) I have gone for route 2 and did one of the courses last year and am doing the other one at the moment and loving it!!

Good luck and hope you enjoy it as much as I have/am :D

Net,

As far as I am aware the two are still stand alones and both worth something, if that's what you mean, much like the seeming plethora of Level 2 and 3 qualifications!

You could try checking the QCA website?

Sue :o

Has the foundation degree taken over the NVQ 4 in EYrs childcare. Have asked local college, OU,EYrs, PSLA and no one seems to know.

35352[/snapback]

The Qualifications and Curriculum Authority website has a section where you can go and check the levels of various qualifications:-

www.qca.org.uk/493.html (sorry, I don't know how to insert a clickable link or whatever the right terminology is!)

There's a framework which lays down the levels. If I read it right, the Foundation Degree is Level 5.

But then again, I'm not good at reading tables...

Maz

Hi Net franklin, meant to say that as far as I know the foundation degree has not taken over from NVQ 4.

NVQ 4 is on the NQF but the foundation degree comes on the Framework for Higher Education (FHEQ).

There are now soooo many qualifications in early years I find it quite confusing knowing what is what! I achieved the Certificate In Early Years Practice from the OU in December 2004 which is on the NQF as level 4 (and awarded by the OU after E123 and E124 but am continuing to foundation level.

Hope this helps :D

yes Maz was accepted...just panicking now..... :D  :D  :D

35366[/snapback]

Fantastic! I'm looking forward to working with you and getting to know you 'in the flesh' so to speak.

I was so excited I emailed all my friends to tell them how smug I was feeling. I did ask them to remind me how smug I was feeling today when, in the middle of October, I will be wondering why I had committed to this course!

Maz

If you think I might possibly be of any help at all, I'm always here!!!

Sue  :D

35371[/snapback]

I think you may live to regret that, but thanks very much!

Maz

Good luck from me too :D

Out of interest (Oh well, OK I am nosey!! :D ) would love to know 'who' you are doing the FD with and what modules are involved.

I am fascinated by the variations, each university I looked at offered different elements.

Geraldine - its at Berkshire College of Agriculture, through Reading University.

The core modules in year one are:

Academic skills for work-based learning - 10 credits

Reflective practice - 10 credits

How children learn and develop - 20 credits

The legal context - 20 credits

The social context - 20 credits

Promoting a positive environment - 20 credits

Optional units for year one are:

Supporting care and development of children aged 0-3

Supporting Foundation Stage practice

Supporting playwork practice for 4-8 year olds

How teaching assistants support learning and development

Core units for year two are:

How children learn and develop - 20 credits

Assessment and evaluation of learning and development - 20 credits

Issues of inclusion and special needs - 20 credits

Research methods for developing professional practice - 20 credits

Extending subject knowledge and expertise in ICT - 10 credits

Optional units for year two are:

Planning and assessing for intellectual and language development for chidren under three/Supporting development of a positive sense of self in children under three

CLL/Creative Development in Foundation Stage/MD in the Foundation Stage/ KUW in the Foundation Stage

Evaluating playwork with 4-8 year olds/The importance of play

Progress in communication, language, literacy and creativity/Progress in mathematics/Progress in science

Dare I ask how this compares with your experience?

Maz

Arggh!!! Just spent ages and ages writing a reply comparing the two and i clicked on preview by mistake and then clicked the back button and my message has disappeare into cyberspace :o

In brief I think you have more options than I do but overall the content is very similar. Your year 1 options are virtually identical to our 'choice of route' in the final course.

Looking at the list of what is to come looks quite daunting but it isn't really- honestly :D

I can recommend a great book, very informative and an easy read:

Early Years Care and Education Levels 4 and 5 by Iain Macleod- Brudenell ISBN: 0-435-40178-5 think it was about £25 but worth it ( I got a copy as a mother's day present!) The introduction says the book will be of interest to anyone involved in childhood studies but particularly foundation degree students.

Sure you will enjoy it and if you want to throw ideas around or compare notes just shout :D:D

Serious hat back on, it's a well grounded -sounding course, like the links to BTTM, which, of course will matter a lot!

The reflective bit at the beginning is good too. Sounds like a well paced and sound course.

Sorry my frivolities got the better of me, but, hey, we need to be silly sometimes :o

Sue :)

Oh, please forgive!

College of Agriculture! Is it care of 'unusual animals', or

a la Harry Potter, care of young humans/muggles  ?

Sue  :o

35383[/snapback]

Nothing to forgive - will keep a look out for Buckbeak!

The college still has a strong agricultural focus, but its childcare courses are well respected locally. It has its own day nursery, so there may be the possibility of real live babies to play with!

Maz

Early Years Care and Education Levels 4 and 5 by Iain Macleod- Brudenell ISBN: 0-435-40178-5 think it was about £25 but worth it ( I got a copy as a mother's day present!) The introduction says the book will be of interest to anyone involved in childhood studies but particularly foundation degree students.

35385[/snapback]

Is this the one with the green and purple handprints on the front?

Maz

Yes! the one with the handprints!

:D

35390[/snapback]

Oh goodie - I've got that one already. Another one on the booklist is likely to be "Essential Early Years" which was reviewed in one of the mags this month.

I didn't need to attend Divination class to foretell that a small fortune will be spent on books (I'm not big on libraries - I like to hightlight, squiggle in the margins, and I always forget to return them on time!).

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)