Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numbers

hi everyone paddywack here,can anyone help.Iam taking over anew classroom in sept .our theme for the first half of term is numbers 1-10 I work with 3-4year olds,I basically have to do one number a week on each day !!! I have a few ideas does anyone have any good activities to do or ideas for a display board.thanks paddywack :):D

Sorry paddywack,

Don't have a lot of time. I would start off by thinking of either a rhyme or book for each number and take it from there, if that helps. Good luck. :)

Hi paddywhack. I guess thats a new nursery group is it? If they are 3-4? Im not sure Id start with that topic if the chidlren are new, but do I get the impression that you havent had any choice about that?

However when we have done a number focus we have had some sort of interactive number display with 'the number of the day/week' Here there would be lots of 'things' associated with that number.....collections of objects, books, textured numbers, magnetic numerals etc etc. Once the children get used to the idea, they will create the collections themselves, Ill just begin with what the number is and they will go off and find the relevant things. Once really confident they choose the number themselves too.

Display wise Id go with a number related rhyme or poem, but display isnt my area of strength so Im sure others will have better ideas there.

Hi, are you looking at recognising number symbols? We have used playdough to make and bake diffeent number symbols but I guess that would be a bit boring week after week. Candles on the cake,childrem make + decorate playdough cakes, take a number symbol/throw dice to select correct number of candles.Have also got large sewing card number symbols, (made of ply wood they are very old) but personally I don't use them very often as sewing cards, use them to order and play 'What's missing/in the wrong place'

Threading, choose 1 of everything - cotton reel, bead, button, pasta etc. (Although I would tend to use this with my children as a CI task once they were settled into nursery)

Books '9 Ducks 9' is good and also 'One Bear at Bedtime has been popular.

The V Hungry Caterpillar,

Using the nursery environment is my favourite way of introducing and re inforcing number recognition, for example,

Display- we have a display with numbers in English, Russian, Gujerati etc.made from different textures, sandpaper, foil good old collage. + pictures 'how many balloons/buckets?',+ introduce more/less language. Use children's own portraits with captions'I've got 1 nose, two eyes' etc. Number line such as '1 elephant went out to play' pictures, symbols number as word plus questions 'how many elephants?' 'and 1 more makes?'

Pictures of children at activities, '1 boy on a bike, 2 girls on the climbing frame, 3 children in the sandpit' etc (though I thought this year I'd photograph the same activity and just keep adding another child)

We display numbers accompanied by stick people, all round the nursery area, '4 children can use the sand' and encourage children to count and see if there's a space for them at activity.

Involve children in counting cups etc for snacks set the table at tidy up time, count pencild etc into container, arrange containers in correct order, numbers correspond to number line/stick people.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful, don't expect there's anything new for you.Barb

Hi, are you looking at recognising number symbols? We have used playdough to make and bake diffeent number symbols but I guess that would be a bit boring week after week. Candles on the cake,childrem make + decorate playdough cakes, take a number symbol/throw dice to select correct number of candles.Have also got large sewing card number symbols, (made of ply wood they are very old) but personally I don't use them very often as sewing cards, use them to order and play 'What's missing/in the wrong place'

Threading, choose 1 of everything - cotton reel, bead, button, pasta etc. (Although I would tend to use this with my children as a CI task once they were settled into nursery)

Using the nursery environment is my favourite way of introducing and re inforcing number recognition, for example,

Display- we have a display with numbers in English, Russian, Gujerati etc.made from different textures, sandpaper, foil good old collage. + pictures 'how many balloons/buckets?',+ introduce more/less language. Use children's own portraits with captions'I've got 1 nose, two eyes' etc. Number line such as '1 elephant went out to play' pictures, symbols number as word plus questions 'how many elephants?' 'and 1 more makes?'

Pictures of children at activities, '1 boy on a bike, 2 girls on the climbing frame, 3 children in the sandpit' etc (though I thought this year I'd photograph the same activity and just keep adding another child)

We display numbers accompanied by stick people, all round the nursery area, '4 children can use the sand' and encourage children to count and see if there's a space for them at activity.

Involve children in counting cups etc for snacks set the table at tidy up time, count pencild etc into container, arrange containers in correct order, numbers correspond to number line/stick people.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful, don't expect there's anything new for you.Barb

35292[/snapback]

Thanks everyone for the ideas they sound great. It is not a totally new nursery class just a few new ones and no I didnt have much choice in the theme maybe next time I will. thanks again paddywack

One of the nursery mags has a number poster at the mo...

We have a washing line that they can peg the numbers onto.

Rockets to practise counting backwards for take off

We like to make the role play environment into Goldilocks or 3 pigs for counting with 1-1 correspondence. Goldilocks also has the order aspect with the 3 sizes.

Nick Sharatt has a book 1-10 and back again

Little Bunny Bopkin (spelling?)

Obviously all the number rhymes but you could get the children to make props such as currant buns.

Cookery to count out ingredients, cake cases etc.

Another one our kids love is being a post person. We have 9 doors made form cardboard box card with a number and a letterbox. We put them around hte room and give the children letters/parcels with matching numbers on to 'post'

According to age/stage, match colours and fonts too or make sure they are different so a straight 9 or one that looks like an upside down 6, 7's crossed and uncrossed, 1's as straight line or with top flick and so on.

Ten Black Dots by Donald Crews lends itself to some creative work.

I also made 10 birthday cards with 1-10 on for putting in order and also posting in the right letterbox.

Anita

We have a washing line that they can peg the numbers onto.

35301[/snapback]

And sometimes its fun to peg the numbers on before the children get there, but put one or more numbers in the wrong place. Children love to think grown ups have made a mistake!

Maz

• 2 months later...

35292[/snapback]

I am a PGCE student have you got any more activity ideas using the topic birthdays please x kirsty

I am a PGCE student have you got any more activity ideas using the topic birthdays please x kirsty

39499[/snapback]

What age group? What area of maths?

Lots of opps for number work, colour and shape (balloons, getting enough stuff for party for x children, ordinal numbers for order of people arriving, shapes and patterns with making presents and wrapping paper...)

I have an interactive ladybird number line, I will seach my other computor for the print offs and post them asap but basically the top line is ladybirds with one dot, two dots, three dots etc then under each lady bird I put a velcro disc and the children then have seperate ladybirds with the written number symbol 1,2,3, stc and stick them up matching to the number of dots.

This could be done with any picture format.

Kirsty,

This week our book theme is "Kippers Birthday", lots of B.day activities such as playdough with candles, paint printing on wallpaper to make wrapping paper, wrapping different sized boxes (pretend presents), making bday cards and posting them, actually celebrated the managers birthday today ( large bottle of brandy from me (the children only saw the bunch of flowers though- aren't I a good boss :D ) I digress.........

Children love all the birthday games, musical bumps, balloons, pass the parcel- each wrapper had a pink item in it ( our colour of the week) for the children to put on our colour table ( they were proud to have something to put on it- not upset they could not keep it) older children gave clue's ( with support) so that others could guess what they had......lots of PSE about "giving" being thankful, all the different ways we can show thankfulness ( is there such a word?). remembering presents they have had ( seems to be inexpensive small things that mean the most to them)

and this is only day 2 of the topic!!!!

All the children are talking about how old they are "I'm 3", "I'm more, I'm 4"

Audrey ( the manager ) is 6 :oxD

Lots of 'independent, organised, birthday role play, extended with 'writing' invitations, who will you invite? ( spiderman being the favourite guest), asking them why, "she's my bestest friend".

have fun.

Peggy

Hi Kirsty,

I'm doing bthdays at the moment!

Do you know the rhyme 5 bthday candles?

5 Bthday candles on the bthday cake

Let's count them very carefully so there is no mistake

We've counted 5 so there's no doubt

And now it's time to blow one out.

then 4, 3,2,1

Have made role play area into non stop birthday party. We have party resource box with party hats, plates, cups cake, candles etc

children design and make cards, invitations, banners

Pressies, different shape parcels, guess the shape /what's inside type games

balloon decorating, faces on balloons before inflating and hanging

printing a tablecloth for party.

For the last three days I've had a table with wrapping paper, selection of 'gifts' selotape, string, ribbon, labels ,gift tags for children to wrap, unwrap re-wrap, it has been very popular

we've made a bthday board with the children, photos of children at a favourite activity +names, age , dob and special comment from home/reason for name choice(because I'm nosy)

Books, good old Topsy and Tim (now there's a couple who know how to party) Alfie Lends a Hand, Worried Arthur +the bthday, Mr Wolf +the 3 Bears

Hope this helps

barb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)