Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Eyfs- Prime Areas

We are a pre-school that have a mixture of children from the age of 2-4- do we just focus our planning and assessments on just the prime areas of development but have equipment out promoting the other areas? or would we still have to plan and assess against all areas still? all our staff have manage to get on a training course but they are not until july and i want to try and get my head around it!

thanks

I think it would be sensible to continue assessing and planning for all seven areas of learning for children up to 2, even though the 2 year check only requires the prime areas. It won't do any harm, and will give you a more rounded picture of each child's development. :1b

I agree you need to view this as a spiral curriculum where the prime and specific areas combine to give you the full picture of a childs abilities.

I have been on some training and it was explained that 'If you didn't plan for the other areas how would they ever gain those experiences'. I think what you will find is that you will have been focusing on the three prime areas with the youngest anyway but perhaps your planning may need to be more specific,

Hi

I have been on a training course and the way it was explained to me was, look at where the child is developmentally and use the new development matters help you decide what to plan. e.g. if a child is working at an 8-20 month stage, there isn't actually anything in that development matters box for some of the specific areas, so you would focus mainly on the prime. If they are working at a 40-60 month stage, there is development matters points for prime and specific, so you would focus on all. Its hard to explain without it in front of me, but if you look at some of the earlier age bands for the specific areas, there isn't much written, or sometimes nothing at all, so it almost makes you look more towards the prime. (hope this makes sense/helps)

Hi

I have been on a training course and the way it was explained to me was, look at where the child is developmentally and use the new development matters help you decide what to plan. e.g. if a child is working at an 8-20 month stage, there isn't actually anything in that development matters box for some of the specific areas, so you would focus mainly on the prime. If they are working at a 40-60 month stage, there is development matters points for prime and specific, so you would focus on all. Its hard to explain without it in front of me, but if you look at some of the earlier age bands for the specific areas, there isn't much written, or sometimes nothing at all, so it almost makes you look more towards the prime. (hope this makes sense/helps)

That's what we are advising.

cx

We are a pre-school that have a mixture of children from the age of 2-4- do we just focus our planning and assessments on just the prime areas of development but have equipment out promoting the other areas? or would we still have to plan and assess against all areas still? all our staff have manage to get on a training course but they are not until july and i want to try and get my head around it!

thanks

Hi just seen this post and I had asked someone from the local children's center this question today and they said that the focus for three prime areas would be for children under two, although if they were seen to do something in say music it would still be expected to be recorded with a nod to this area. For children over two they would expect something on the seven areas, and provision would remain for seven areas regardless of age. However they then said check at the training ;-) don't know if that helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)