Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics

Hello I am a nqt going into reception in the summer term and have been away eyfs for a few months having spent 9 months being a nursery teacher and need to get my head around phonics, where would the children be around this time of the term in regards to phases? how have people found the best way to plan phonics? What should I be focussing on? I would like to do a good job and have some ideas before I go in to school because I as in ks2 for a while and it didn't o so well now so I'm a bit worried I can only teach nursery and am rubbish at anything else any help on how to approach this would be great thanks.

Is there any way you can find out where they are up to? I'm going to start Phase 4 with my class after the holidays, so if you can't find out then I'd start with revising Phase 3 and see how they get on. Depending on what resources the school has got, the Letters and Sounds document itself is a pretty good place to start. There are lots of nice ideas and you can get a lots of the resources to play these on websites like twinkl. There are also some nice IWB games on the phonics play website. I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine :) I've attached me plan for next week. It includes the group I teach and my TA's group who are slightly more advanced. Good luck.

Letters and Sounds Planning 16th April.doc

Hi my children are at massively differing stages with phonics and I differentiate 4 ways from phase 2 (still learning set 3 and working on blending (sen group) to phase 4. I have 2 children with statements and so have 3 TAs+ me so each adult has a group for our daily phonics slot. You should have evidence of where they were at and how it was done before you arrived but if you havn't, I would pitch it at phase 3 and then spend a week or so assessing where they are at.

Deb

Just jumping in for a quick question (sorry)........

I work with 3/4 year olds and i'm working on phase 1 of the Letters and Sounds document...they are all doing so well and i was happy to read that some of the new Eyfs development matters statements now include ref to letters and sounds :) Anyway...is there a programme that reception classes follow for mathematics that is of similar format to the L&S?

Thanks for the replies, I believe I will be given information on where they are at when I get back, I was just wondering if there was anything I should be looking at before then. If I may ask another question what kind of words does phase 3 involve is it things like playground which is where you teach two separate words and put them together how would you teach this? Sorry for all the questions but I jut want to sort it out in my own head a little bit but it seems like I'll pick it up as I go along-what do other people think is the hardest thing about teaching phonics?

I think the hardest thing about teaching phonics is the repetition. It evolves doing stuff over and over and trying to think of different and engaging ways to teach it. My advice would be to search out games and activities e.g. different games for segmenting and blending practice because Letters and sounds only has a few examples. Maybe see if you can observe a phonics letter before you start Teaching it, even if its year 1 its still the same structure.

Thanks again for all the help it's all been very helpful I've just learnt they are going onto phase4 and recapping phase 3 what would be the best wy to do that? Thanks for the help

Thanks again for all the help it's all been very helpful I've just learnt they are going onto phase4 and recapping phase 3 what would be the best wy to do that? Thanks for the help

The Letters and Sound guidance should help you. If you dont have a hard copy, you can download it--or maybe the school has some bought resources such as LCP which gives weekly plans.

Good luck.

Presumably they've been taught using the schools agreed phonics programme? This would be the thing to be using.

cx

You need to work directly from the letter and sounds document which will give you a format for the session and suggestions for games. If you google phase 4 weekly planning or similar you could be able to find some example planning that you can adapt -try the TES resources. The first week of phase 4 focuses on reading and writing cvcc words so words like tent, camp but you are revising phase 3 if you include phase 3 phonemes in words to read and write eg munch, found.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)