Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fs2 Teachers Thoughts On Revised Eyfs Framework

I was just wondering what your thoughts were?

Changes for the better or worse?

How do you think it will impact on you and your children?

Lou x

Guest ChunkyMan

Some good, some better but just worried about showing progress over the year (pupil progress)!!!

I liked the format of the profile although not all the statements!!

It would be nice to see the profile and any guidance they are planning to give us before too long!!!

As far as I know:

The guidance will only exemplify the expected descriptor. This was all the DfE would fund to be developed as additional guidance through STA. (Austerity rules even in STA)

The processes will be no different really - you know what the ELGs look like so have the expected band descriptors already. You will make your judgements in just the same way by gathering observations etc and matching them to the level descriptors to get the final picture of the childs skills.

The STA programme lead was very specific when he said in a meeting I was at that the EYFSP will be less about progress but about summative judgements at the end of the phase. It isn't designed to be a progress tool, in the same way you don't use level 2 descriptors to track progress across KS1. We have the dev matters framework to support our progress discussions!!

Cx

Do you think we will no longer have to submit progress to LA's termly then?

One thing which worries me is the statement

'as children grow older, and as their development allows, it is expected that the balance will gradually shift towards more activities led by adults, to help children prepare for more formal learning, ready for year 1'

We have worked so hard in our setting to extend FS principles into year 1 and I worry this will put an end to it

Lou x

i too worry about that statement!

it can be interpreted in so many different ways. i think we have to stand our ground and remember that transition is a two way process its about meeting in the middle! we in reception need to introduce children to the way year one works but also year one needs to start off with a play based approach so that transition from EYFS to NC is gradual and not a massive jump. I do think heads will see that statement to mean bring back the tables we just have to show that, that's not the case. if you are working with a group of children i find that is they have chosen to participate and its in the area of the classroom related to the content you get much better results, the hard part is getting those children who never want to do your activity! as my partner always says if you sound confident and passionate about the subject people will follow and agree with we what you are doing.

i think the new EYFS is so much easier to understand and apart from the odd thing here and there the generally EYFS practice and idea is the same just waiting now for the authority training to see what they say :-)

I wonder who is going to train the LA? I suspect we'll just have to read it and make sense of it - which realistically everyone else could do too!!

I've written a briefing last week, but have no more to go on than anyone else does. We had some inkling there might be LA briefings from the DfE - we're still waiting to see if they'll happen!!

Cx

Hi! Is it me or is the new wording for the ELG's in some cases just an amalgamation of previously separate goals...

E.g: "Children use their phonic knowledge to write words

in ways which match their spoken sounds. They also

write some irregular common words. They write simple

sentences which can be read by themselves and

others. Some words are spelt correctly and others are

phonetically plausible." (ELG Writing)

To me this looks like 4 separate things rolled into one - how do you then decide whether to give the point in your assessment, when a child can only do parts of it?

I wonder who is going to train the LA? I suspect we'll just have to read it and make sense of it - which realistically everyone else could do too!!

I've written a briefing last week, but have no more to go on than anyone else does. We had some inkling there might be LA briefings from the DfE - we're still waiting to see if they'll happen!!

Cx

Ha we were saying that today we will have to read, digest, then deliver training with very little training budget :blink: :blink: :blink:

• Like 1

It all sounds good to me so far but my biggest worry is how we show progress over the year. I have to submit data to my head every term with analysis of points progress etc my performance management is linked to this (don't agree but what can you do my head is v data driven) If the new eyfs manages to stop this kind of number crunching (and predicting y2 levels on the basis of profile points at the end of the year! ) I will be ecstatic but somehow cant see this happening. As far as how I teach and what I teach I don't think there will be any radical changes to what I'm doing already.

Deb

Hi! Is it me or is the new wording for the ELG's in some cases just an amalgamation of previously separate goals...

E.g: "Children use their phonic knowledge to write words

in ways which match their spoken sounds. They also

write some irregular common words. They write simple

sentences which can be read by themselves and

others. Some words are spelt correctly and others are

phonetically plausible." (ELG Writing)

To me this looks like 4 separate things rolled into one - how do you then decide whether to give the point in your assessment, when a child can only do parts of it?

Sorry to be flippant, but yes, that's the simple recipe to reduce 69 points to 17!!! Apparently the use of multiple sentences in ELGs is supposed to make our work loads reduce!! What a joke! I am sure that Clare Tickell had good intentions when working to revise the EYFS, but can't help thinking that some of those intentions have somehow been "lost in translation".

Edited by eyfs1966

Ha we were saying that today we will have to read, digest, then deliver training with very little training budget :blink: :blink: :blink:
BUDGET!!!!!! You've got it easy there!!!

As for Profile points and ways of working we have now...it's a whole new page and there's little to be gained trying to make the new system work in the same way as the old one.

Cx

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)