Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pips Assessments

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

HI has anyone used the PIPS assessment with their Reception Class?

It will be my first time after the holidays and I was wondering how long each assessment takes??

Thanks

Guest tinkerbell

It will be my first time after the holidays and I was wondering how long each assessment takes??

Thanks

34855[/snapback]

Oops sorry everyone I'm new to the site and have just done a search and found out heaps on the PIPS plus the website

That will teach me to look more carefully

Sorry

Tinkerbell :o

Hi Tinkerbell,

Glad you're finding useful information on the forum and well done for finding the search facility so quickly. :D It has taken some of us a long time to get used to all the buttons and work out what they do. :) (And I didn't mention any names Sue_R :oxD )

The better the children are the longer it takes to adminster. I presume you are going to be using the computer version.

I find about 20mins spent with each child approx.

it starts off with language then progresses to ask them to show where a story would start, point to a full stop, capital letter etc.. through to maths devel and short term memory(optional). I think they are allowed about 3 mistakes per section before it stops and moves on. obviously the more they get right the harder the questions

It does give you the opportunity to get a lot of information about a child quickly.

I didnt do it last year but think I will do it next for that reason. Also it gives you some 'data' to hand quickly

We use PIPS but I've suggested this year that because we are going to be using the eprofile and going to be able to plot progress on graphs throughout the year, that we use the booklets anyway (everyone seems keen on them) and we save the money that would have cost us to send the results to Durham and use the money at the end of the year to get supply when it comes to finishing the profiles with all the collating of info we have to do.

Oooh - that was a long sentence! Hope it made sense. I didn't actually see the point in paying for stuff that we could pull off anyway. If the PIPS are a baseline assessent we should be able to transfer onto the profile straight away anyway, and seen as we are using the electrical version, why pay someone else when we can provide a multitude of graphs throughout the year anyway!

D x

• 4 weeks later...
The better the children are the longer it takes to adminster.  I presume you are going to be using the computer version. 

I find about 20mins spent with each child approx.

it starts off with language then progresses to ask them to show where a story would start, point to a full stop, capital letter etc..  through to maths devel and short term memory(optional).  I think they are allowed about 3 mistakes per section before it stops and moves on.  obviously the more they get right the harder the questions

It does give you the opportunity to get a lot of information about a child quickly. 

I didnt do it last year but think I will do it next for that reason.  Also it gives you some 'data' to hand  quickly

34947[/snapback]

Hello,

I use Pips at school. Where can I find this assessment? I'm particularly interested in the short term memory part. Please could you let me know.

Thank you. Boogie :D

• 4 weeks later...

My advice on PIPS is: DON'T DO IT!!!!!

1) its very time consuming, particularly at a point when practitioners should be interacting with and observing children in order to get to know them (in a holistic sense)

2) it provides a narrow, totally practitioner directed view of a child's attainment and doen’t account for individuality and styles of learning / expression

3) it does not use observation of independent activity in any form

4) the information is useless to practitioners; other than generating data and graphs for statisticians

5) it uses an approach that totally contradicts the aims and principles of the CGFS

6)It is incompatible with the FSP

7) it is a standardised assessment; rather than an ipsative one

8) you have to PAY for it

9) it reinforces antiquated perceptions of learning in the Early Years; i.e. sitting at a table with an adult (albeit with a computer)

10)it undermines practitioner’s professionalism in making judgements about the children in their Setting by providing them with an artificial template.

how many more reasons do you need?!?!!?

hi Ocelot and welcome! :D

Thats an interesting perspective but sometimes we dont have the luxury of the choice. I've no direct experience of Pips but was told similar things when I was looking at ways to acquire baseline evidence, unfortunately some of still need the sort of statistics that it produces, how else can we attain them?

The purpose of any assessment must be to identify the child’s next steps in learning and how this is going to impact on practitioner practice – otherwise it is pointless. This would have to be the starting point for collecting any baseline evidence and generating statistics. In terms of collecting such evidence and recording it there are range of systems available that are compatible with the principles of effective Early Years pedagogy and demonstrate progress; the Leuven Child Involvement Scale and ECERS-E scale to name but two. Stepping Stone / ELG attainment on entry is a clear indicator of progress and if it’s a case of satisfying OFSTED then I would suggest you look at http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/f...145599/#1152413 question7 and question 9.

Ocelot

My advice on PIPS is: DON'T DO IT!!!!!

37429[/snapback]

Oh Ocelot - don't sit on the fence, tell us what you really think!!

Welcome aboard - I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Maz

Unfortunately my place has a fondness for them which means I get to sit through them for all 30 of my children. What fun is going to be had - I'd much rather be doing something else with the kids!!!

Oh well !

x

Have to say I agree entirely with Ocelot and was extremely happy when one of my schols decided it wasn't of any value to them!!

( also Boogie, are you referring to pips = progression in phonics as this is pips something else, but your post looks llike you might mean the phonics pips. Can't remember what it stands for here!)

Have to say I agree entirely with Ocelot and was extremely happy when one of my schols decided it wasn't of any value to them!!

( also Boogie, are you referring to pips = progression in phonics as this is pips something else, but your post looks llike you might mean the phonics pips. Can't remember what it stands for here!)

37456[/snapback]

Isnt it something like 'peformance indicicators for pupils or such like'

??? I dont know I am only guessing

I know the phonics one is 'progression in phonics'

• 2 months later...
Guest S Whisler

Thanks

34855[/snapback]

Guest tinkerbell

I popped into this topic as some one had psted a reply after such a long time.Well I did the PIPS and thought them a waste of time and told my HT who told me the LEA had recommended them.SooooI found the adviser who is telling all the HT to do them what I thought of them and how he was recommending something that did not assess all the 6 areas and only certain aspects of certain ones eg maths point 7 and 8 on the shape , my question is what happened to points 1,2,3,4,5,6, ?at the beginning of th autumn term in a reception class with children coming from 8 different settings I need something sensible......as I told the chap there are over 100 different points to check and having gaps does not work on the e-profile..in fact it looks silly and can you really say a child has got point 7and 8 just because they can say a shape is a circle or square and something is big and something is small???? I ask you I will not be doing them next year!!

Tinkerbell

I popped into this topic as some one had psted a reply after such a long time.Well I did the PIPS and thought them a waste of time and told my HT who told me the LEA had recommended them.SooooI found the adviser who is telling all the HT to do them what I thought of them and how he was recommending something that did not assess all the 6 areas and only certain aspects of certain ones  eg maths point 7 and 8 on the shape , my question is what happened to points 1,2,3,4,5,6, ?at the beginning of th autumn term in a reception class with children coming from 8 different settings I need something sensible......as I told the chap there are over 100 different points to check and having gaps does not work on the e-profile..in fact it looks silly and can you really say a child has got point 7and 8 just because they can say a shape is a circle or square and something is big and something is small???? I ask you I will not be doing them next year!!

Tinkerbell

43187[/snapback]

Well done tink! I'm proud of you!

Ocelot

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)