Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Irregular Attendence Pattern

bubblejack

I have a child that has attended this term only 6 out of a possible 26 sessions.

In January I reduced sessions from 5 to 3 because child had not attended many sessions during autumn term . The excuse that was that it was too cold to come out.They easily agreed to this because 2 of the sessions were morning sessions and they do not get up very early although they did offer to bring the child at 10.30 instead of 9.00.

Things have not improved. I have explained today that the early years could ask for the money back.Their answer was that this wouldn't worry them because they will get legal aid.Parent is now saying child always comes home with an illness so its my fault.I don't think they are going to easily give up some of the sessions but Its not fair on the child and the other children waiting for spaces and its a waste of government funds. The early years are aware of the childs irregular attendence. I just wonder if anyone has any ideas on how i stand if I cut down the childs sessions and how I can deal with 2 very angry parents.

I will be watching this with interest as I have 2 children (siblings, so the same family) with very similar issues. Last term, the said reason was that as the 3 year old had 5 sessions & the 2 year old didn't & they'd only just had a new baby, it was hard getting the children into a regular pattern of attendance. They both now have 5 spaces, elder with 3 yr funding & younger with 2 yr funding.

And I'm telling 'average' parents that I've got no spaces until September, but have other professionals wanting me to take children in desperate need of spaces. I'll be phoning County next week for advice.

Hi if the child is funded, they have no medical conditions, they are not from a multi-ethic culture that requires them to travel ( when this maybe taken into account). I think they do need to understand that if they have signed the declaration form to claim funding for a particular amount of hours/weeks that's exactly what they should be receiving, except the odd day for illness. I would get some advice on this as you also have a duty under your contract with the local authority to see that public money is not wasted.

Yes I tried to get more advice from early years after I had spoken to parents but couldn't get a reply today. The child has no medical conditions and the family are WBRI and live within 15 minutes walking distance but usually drive to pre-school. Yes Bridger I agree with you that I have a public duty not to waste money that is one of the reasons that I want to sort it out, so wasteful.

My post was aimed at the parents responsibility in this, not that you were wasting public money. I wonder if this is an isolated case or are there many others doing the same.This is where it's tricky as in children under statutory school age do not necessarily have to attend a setting unlike school. Maybe a tightening of this needs to be addressed at a local authority level.

Hi there what sort of setting are you in? I am in a maintained nursery class in an infant school. If you have children on a waiting list can you write a letter to the parents of the child with erratic attendance explaining this and say that if their child's attendance does not markedly improve in the next... weeks, then you will have no other option but to withdraw the place.

We have done this is our school with a family that were habitually late for oh so many reasons.... (could open a book on it). It was amazing to see the sudden change in the parents attitude when they knew they could be faced with the possibility.

I know it doesn't seem fair on the child as it is not their fault, however, it is even unfairer on the other families and children who are waiting places.

The other reason we get tough like this is many of our children come to our reception class and we often find that families who have poor attendance in the nursery continue to do so throughout school (although the penalties are bigger).

We try and nip it in the bud but setting these boundaries as best we can given that they are not statutory school age. Good luck and I hope it works out for you. Do let us know what you do

bubblejack i'm a bit worried about this family... i think i would be checking that there are no safeguarding issues going on. If they are missing due to sickness is the child ok? do this family need support and advice before they need sanctions? i'm sure you've already thought of all of these things but there has to be a real reason why they arn'y coming

We are a pre-school apple.

I am hoping that the childs attendence improves now the childs parents are aware of my intentions. If it improves before easter the child will be given the same sessions but I do have permission from the early years to withdraw sessions if attendence reverts back.

If I have already received summer term funding I will easily be able to give place to another funded child.In the summer term because I will only able to give newly funded children 2 sessions untill september.

I will nip it in the bud earlier in future.

I have now amended my admissions policy to cover my intentions and put up notice. I will mention it in the next newsletter.

I have 2 other families, not quite as bad as this one but I am monitoring them as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)