Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childminders And Funded Enhanced Provision

I never thought I'd be asking about this, but one of my minded children has missed out on a Nursery place at my children's school. I don't want to lose him. Maybe I should consider being assessed to provide Enhanced Provision so that I can continue caring for him.

I have recently completed Children Come First Network assessment and am working towards Cert in Early Years, but never really wanted to be more than 'nice lady looking after children like I look after my own', so this idea goes against the grain for me, but it might be the right thing for this family so may be good business sense too.

So, can RCMs who provide Funded Enhanced places to nursery aged children please share their experiences with me? Has it been financially viable? Is the rate much lower than your usual hourly rate? Is it more trouble than it's worth? Is there a demand?

Still hoping he gets a place, but prior preparation etc...

Honey

Hi Honey,

I went to a Network meeting about NEF funding last week.

It's not something I've ever wanted or intend to sign up for, purely because most of my children have been with me from a few months old and treat my home as their second home. I've always felt that moving on to nursery or pre-school is a natural progression into a bigger, busier, noisier setting with more staff, less one-to-one and routines more like those they'll experience in school. It also helps them to make the break from me and learn that i will drop them off and return for them later.

I know childminders who do provide NEF and who signed up for the same reasons that you are considering it. I'd advise caution - it can take a while to process your application and one friend went through the system only to have Mum announce that her child had got a Nursery place after all :rolleyes: A call to your childminding network may prove useful, they'll be able to tell you the amount of work involved and the timescales to see whether it's a viable option for you.

Nona

Thanks Nona,

I have been put on the next course starting in January, don't think it will hurt - won't benefit the child in question due to timing and for the reasons you've said - but with two year olds starting to receive funding soon I don't want to be losing my babies as soon as they turn two.

So much for a simple way to earn some pocket money.

Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)