Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pse - Interview

I have another interview and have been asked to do a PSE activity on anything I want with reception children. I want to use a story with a moral or strong theme and get all the children really involved. Any fantastic ideas you have used or have seen? Have 15-20 mins in which to do it.

Maybe not quite the strong moral message that you're looking for but Elmer's quite nice - recognise and respect differences between people, know that we all have strengths and weaknesses. The Lion and the mouse would cover the same objectives.

Harricroft

The selfish crocodile is a nice book which teaches children that they may all need help from time to time and that it is important to share. Another nice activity that i have done to demonstrate working together is for the children to sit in a circle, explain that you are going to make a friendship web. This involves one child holding on to the end of a ball of wool, they then roll it to a friend, keeping hold of the end and say a nice thing about that person. The person who recieved the ball of wool, then keeps hold of a piece in one hand then rolls the roll to another person saying something nice about them. they all enjoyed this and loved seeing the web form. At the end when everyone has had a turn my nursery nurse got in the middle and had to work her way out whilst the children lifted the web and lowered it. They had fantastic fun (expect for my nursery nurse!) When she escaped i asked just one child to let go of their wool to demonstrate that when working together if one person lets go the whole web collapses! It may be slightly complicated for an interview but you may want to use it when you get the job :)

How about the Rainbow Fish. You could make fish for the group and have shiny detachable scales on yours to share. Then ask the children to say when they are good at sharing. Perhaps as a think pair share activity which the other partner can then report back to the group.

AOB

Thanks for your lovely ideas! My head is spinning with different ideas at the moment. :o

I have been thinking of health related activities too as it is PSHE and was wondering if anyone knew of a fiction book about the dentist/healthy eating?

Also wondering if anyone knows any nice songs/activities about being happy and sad?

Thanks!

Just wanted to let you know I got the job!!! Can't quite believe it and keep jumping round the room in excitement. I will be teaching reception in September - yipeee!!!

Thanks for your suggestions, I went with a story about an Owl who wanted to make tear water tea and needed to think of sad thoughts. We also thought of happy thoughts to stop the tears. Children were a little quieter than I would have ideally liked but we got there.

Thanks!

Just realised I never specifically asked if it was permanent as I just assumed it was but the advery doesn't say either way. Do you think I should clarify this asap? Do most schools offer permanent positions these days?

I would clarify it just to be on the safe side, although it should have been mentioned in the advert or at interview. Some schools do recruit for 'one year in first instance' but they should make this clear if this is the case. Im sure a quick call to the Head will confirm either way.

A bit late on this one but would like to add my congratulations, :D

There is a lot of good news from the forum members, I'm glad you are one of them Matilda.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)