Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Car Wash Role Play

Last week some of my boys started a car wash (well actually it started with washing a bench pretending to be a car, I suggested getting the actual cars out and then it became a jet wash because we couldn't find the cars - have a feeling another class may have borrowed them!).

Anyway, I'd really like to develop this next week especially around mark making and number recognition which are things these particular boys need to work on. However I'm having a complete mental block - I can't think how to resource this other than putting cars and washing tools in the water tray (I was going to start with the small world stuff and then move on to the ride ons later on when we get to use our larger outside area).

Can anyone help? Going to a car wash isn't something I do very often!

Last week some of my boys started a car wash (well actually it started with washing a bench pretending to be a car, I suggested getting the actual cars out and then it became a jet wash because we couldn't find the cars - have a feeling another class may have borrowed them!).

Anyway, I'd really like to develop this next week especially around mark making and number recognition which are things these particular boys need to work on. However I'm having a complete mental block - I can't think how to resource this other than putting cars and washing tools in the water tray (I was going to start with the small world stuff and then move on to the ride ons later on when we get to use our larger outside area).

Can anyone help? Going to a car wash isn't something I do very often!

Are you able to take them to a car wash? My local Sainsburys has a path running behind the car wash where I have spend many hours with my sons watching the cars being washed!

Edited by Lyanne

Are you able to take them to a car wash? My local Sainsburys has a path running behind the car wash where I have spend many hours with my sons watching the cars being washed!

Nice idea. I'll have a think and see if I can come up with one in walking distance. Thanks.

• Like 1

how about a price system for using the car wash.. some way to give prices and use some sort of payment system to incorporate numbers in the way you need..

number of cars using it.. record colours or something about them.. put numbers on the cars so they have to come in order.

just thinking out loud really on ways to incorporate numbers, and car washes..

Hi could you make up some booking in forms for the boys to fill out i.e. writing down the car egistration and what time they want the car back? how much will it cost?

what about turning it into a fundraiser and washing staff/parent cars?

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for - you've got my brain working again. As for the washing staff/parent cars - I'd do it like a shot except we have no carpark and I'd have to take them out onto a 40mph road to do it!

• 2 weeks later...

We have registration numbers for the cars (ie ride on type cars) white for the front, yellow for the back, stuck on with double sided tape or blu-tac. So children can make sure they match on each vehicle by checking letters/numbers. They can be made simple or more complicated, can be used for both letter and number recognition by using familiar letters and numbers. Also used to explain why cars have different registration numbers i.e. different countries.

Some children could also write their own so mark making etc.

hope this helps too!

Rachel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)