Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Two Year Old Creative Ideas

We are looking at accomodating 2 year olds and have been advised on a more accessible, less prescriptive approach. Training has also highlighted no templates or shapes just differents sized, textured and coloured paper. What do people do for their display boards?

Welcome to the forum Kazxx. We offer lots of different types of paper to our 2 years and access to paint, crayons, pencil and chalk. We have one display board solely for our 'little people art' and we add developmental matter statement labels showing what the children are acheiving through their free art

i think the key is to forget 'producing' items for display and using what you've got. Try lots of different methods and materials.Your display does not have to be 30 of the same thing but more a reflection of what each child can do, they do not have to be perfect or a representation...so if little mary has done a splodge of red paint on a blue piece of paper then fine...has she said anything about it? like "i like red" or its spotty or it's my Mummy. You could write these on speech bubbles and add them to the board , this way you have the childs voice recorded(which can be added to their learning story when you've finished or you could take a photo of Mary while she is painting and add that too. Try to think of your display board as a work in progress and a gallery to show off their new found skills ....even when they are not very skillfull! :o

Oh please, absolutely dont use the display to show 30 fluffy ducks! I've seen it in action and neither the staff nor the children nor the parents get anything worthwhile from it.

Two year olds should be exploring materials and textures. If you dont have anything to display take loads of photos and describe the learning that was taking place. I like all the pictures in the center of the board with 6 bubbles radiating off with a line or two covering each area.

:o

Guest pamgreen

Our creative resources are there for all children to access them independently. The two year olds mix there own paints obviously with support to begin with but very quickly they become independent. On Friday it was wonderful to spot one of our two year olds making a "puddle" with paint on the floor she was concentrating really well squirting the paint on to a piece of paper having such a lot of fun. This was in the creative area we have anon slip floor. I must admit displays are the last thing we think of. The collage materials again are displayed so that all children freely access to them we work on the principle that its the doing rather than the end product.