Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toilet Training

Guest Spiral

Hi there,

we have a little boy who regularly wets his pants (age nearly 4). He does this three times a day at least. We use stickers and charts, lots of praise etc.

The staff are brilliant and are regularly encouraging him to go and changing him when he has an accident, but we have a problem with the parent's attitude.

Dad and mum have both been in to complain that we should have a regular toilet time and should force their child to go. Dad even suggested we have a naughty step for the child like they do at home!

I've had a chat with them both and explained that we do try to regularly encourage the child to go, but that he doesn't seem to be too aware of when he needs to - the parents totally disagree and state that at home the child doesn't have problems as they are using regular times to go to the loo.

I can see how this is working, but it doesn't allow the child to feel when they need the toilet and understand the sensation.

As a team we feel that the child is pressurised, but where to go from here?

Any suggestions?

Thank you, m

Spiral :-)

Hi there,

we have a little boy who regularly wets his pants (age nearly 4). He does this three times a day at least. We use stickers and charts, lots of praise etc.

The staff are brilliant and are regularly encouraging him to go and changing him when he has an accident, but we have a problem with the parent's attitude.

Dad and mum have both been in to complain that we should have a regular toilet time and should force their child to go. Dad even suggested we have a naughty step for the child like they do at home!

I've had a chat with them both and explained that we do try to regularly encourage the child to go, but that he doesn't seem to be too aware of when he needs to - the parents totally disagree and state that at home the child doesn't have problems as they are using regular times to go to the loo.

I can see how this is working, but it doesn't allow the child to feel when they need the toilet and understand the sensation.

As a team we feel that the child is pressurised, but where to go from here?

Hi Spiral, I'm Kerry from way outside the UK.

I work with younger children age 2 - 3 years and we do use a regular toilet time as well as a more flexible approach. We have a set toilet time for all children but this is half way through the morning session and most children don't seem to mind. However, some children are not ready to go at that time and we give them time to finish their play or wait until everyone else has already gone. I don't like to interrupt children when they are engaged in an activity but do know that sometimes they are so engaged that they forget to 'go'. Of course we also take the kids when they ask us to.

This boy is pretty old to keep having wet pants. Doesn't it bother him that he keeps having to get changed all the time? Can't you explain to him that it is quicker and easier for him to pee quickly and then play?

I think since he is already nearly 4 it might be time to introduce a more structured approach to his toileting needs. He should also be checked to make sure he doesn't have any medical reason for wetting himself so often. Poor kid and poor staff. That is a lot of pee to clean up.

Kerry

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)