Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dinosaurs And Psrn! Ideas Please....

Hi there all,

Just trying to think of some great PSRN ideas based on our mini-topic of dinosaurs...any really successful would be gratefuly received...thank you all

Well that's spooky! I want the same thing but for a display!

We wondered about a bit of sorting but could only really think of meat eater and non-meat eater!

Measurements - find out how long or tall they were and measure it in footsteps - compare adult and child answers.

Different sized dinosaurs to put into order.

Will watch this thread with interest...

Sorting and catagorising them into various containers according to size /colour etc.

A range if different sized boxes/containers and see how many dinosaurs fit into each one - could introduce predicting and estimating here too.

Making dino dens with various types of construction i.e duplo /wooden blocks ( problem solving)

Weighing them using scales or 'hand weighing' one in each hand- prediction /estimation again

Just a few ideas - am sure others will think of more

What areas of PSRN are you wanting to develop from assessment analysis? Then it will be easier to decide how to do it using dinosaurs as the context for the learning rather than the primary focus of the learning. There are lots of thngs you could do using dinosaurs in PSRN but they may not meet your children's actual needs if you see what I mean.

I always found once I had identified the actual learning in terms of skills etc then I could work out how best to do that using whatever context would get the children's interests the best, so you could have several contexts rather than trying to get everything out of one "theme" that may not be right for every area of learning.

Cx

what about the book Dinosaur's Love Underpants as a start, there are quite a few things that can be taken from it....

- sorting dinosaurs pants/symmetry of pants/sharing pants/ counting pants/adding pants

we have done all of these at various times and have wandered around the class wearing our favorite pants on our head too. Kids loved it!

what about the book Dinosaur's Love Underpants as a start, there are quite a few things that can be taken from it....

- sorting dinosaurs pants/symmetry of pants/sharing pants/ counting pants/adding pants

we have done all of these at various times and have wandered around the class wearing our favorite pants on our head too. Kids loved it!

:(xD be careful with this one ...did this story with my group and one little boy dropped his trousers in the middle of group time to show everyone his pants! :o

• 1 year later...

I appreciate, it's an older thread but thought I'd share an idea I used last year with my Reception class. We were working on more standard measures towards the end of the year and our topic was dinosaurs. I made simple posters showing different dinosaurs and their sizes in metres (the children had wanted to find out if dinosaurs were taller than our school). We then had a load of metre sticks and the chn worked together to sellotape the right number of sticks together to measure out the correct heights. At the end we tried to stand up the sticks so they could get a sense of scale (the 15m one didn't work too well but that sort of added to the fun). We then had one last (10m) one to do together but no sticks left so we added in a quick bit of number bonds to 10 (for the really higher ability) to try and work out which 2 dinosaur heights we had already made, needed to go together to make the 10m one. The children loved it, it linked in with their interests and provided lots of extended work (which was appropriate for them). At the same time, the lower ability group (who were still working on ordering 3 objects by height) had a dinosaur hunt with positional vocab clues to follow so that they could find 3 dinosaurs each and then try to order them. I was observed by both the headteacher & county Developing Teacher Programme leader and got an 'outstanding' so it must have been ok!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)