Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baby Room Projects

One of my staff is currently involved in a baby room project and i was wondering if any one has any ideas of activities or objects they have made or do with the under two's... ie Special boxes, anything with photos? anything parents are involved with?

Would love to try some new ideas!!

at a placement I attended, the baby room leader recognised that many parents don't feel involved due to them working all day, so she sent home a big sheet of coloured card with each family and asked them to stick on photos of the child and thier family, plus anything that was important to them, such as a favourite toy. When they were all in, she bound them together quite simply to make a 'big book' for the book corner so the children could look at it during the day. This could be extended by giving parents a camera to borrow if they don't have one, then printing the photos at the setting, so people don't feel left out.

i am just about to start a baby room project with a daycare - am awaiting the northhamptonshire baby room project info to start - will let you know ...... :o

Oh thanks Hali...thats lovely :)

• 3 weeks later...

I sent a letter to the under two's parents asking them for photo's of close family members, (parents, siblings and grandparents, and anyone else closely involved with caring for the children), and also any items that related to different cultures and customs. Every parent over a period of time sent in some photo's and also several sent items relating to their cultures. Today for instance, we had an Italian nursery rhyme Cd. The under two's were completely involved and were definitely listening, they noticed the different music and all enjoyed marching and dancing around to this. We have sat and looked at the photo's at quiet times, and it has encouraged the children's language skills, as they have been able to name other children within the setting, also individual children have been able to name some of their own family members and point them out to the other children. This is very inclusive, and also promotes self confidence/self esteem, and promotes a sense of community.

I was pleasantly surprised at the positive response and will definitely be looking for more ways for the parents to become more involved in the future.

Hope this is useful

we ask our parents to complete an all about me card with their children, photos of family members favourite toys, recent holidays, their house etc and we then laminate it and fold it and put a little bit of velcro on the back and attach to the wall, when the children are upset or miss their parents they have been known to go and get their card and have 5 minutes with their carer to talk about home, seems to work well with transition. I work in a 2-3 room but could work for younger ones.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)