Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Stage Leader

Hi all!

Ok so i am the new EY's coordinator as of tomorrow! We had the big 'O' back in Sept/Oct and the Foundation Stage was under scrutiny due to data.

So here are my questions for all of you wise owls out there:

on 'average' what should children enter nursery at and leave nursery at - within the months bands. I have this notion they should be leaving FS1 at 40 - 60 months, am i right?

On entry i would consider an 'average ' child to be come in with 3's across the board. We were told chn are entering average and leaving on average.

All the numbers and statistics shown to me today have baffled me. We have a lady from the borough coming in next week so we can quiz and clarify but i just want to understand it all.

On a different note...observations and TA's/support staff: this is a huge area to be addressed. The observations are 'fluffy' and i was thinking of using the QCDA early years video clips - shown on a course at the start of last year. However with all the new government, the video clips have been disabled on the website!! xD Does any one have them stored or know where i can get them from? I'd like to support my FS1 and FS2 team in understanding the sort of things we are looking for.

I eagerly await any pointers :o

Skittles

Hi Skittles

Congratulations on your new post! I don't think there are 'average' scores on entry but there are other much more qualified to advise you on this as I have been away from the LA for a little while. That said what you need to know is where they were when they came into nursery and how much progress they have made.

Observations do need to be focussed and factual and if you are looking for the video clips such as A Trap for Baddies then I do have them with the exemplification and would be happy to either try and post them here or burn onto a cdrom for you. Send me a personal message with your address if you would like them on the cdrom.

When I was in school class teachers and TAs were the key person for 15 children each and so they had to make sure the could use observations and then update the children's learning journals from the observations.

Lorna

Hi Skittles

Congratulations on your new post! I don't think there are 'average' scores on entry but there are other much more qualified to advise you on this as I have been away from the LA for a little while. That said what you need to know is where they were when they came into nursery and how much progress they have made.

Observations do need to be focussed and factual and if you are looking for the video clips such as A Trap for Baddies then I do have them with the exemplification and would be happy to either try and post them here or burn onto a cdrom for you. Send me a personal message with your address if you would like them on the cdrom.

When I was in school class teachers and TAs were the key person for 15 children each and so they had to make sure the could use observations and then update the children's learning journals from the observations.

Lorna

Hi skittles, welcome to the forum, make yourself at home

Congrats on the new job.

Youc an still access the EYFSP video cips if this is what you meant from here just scroll down the page.

Most of the national strategies and QDCA stuff is still available via Teachfind.

Hi skittles, welcome to the forum, make yourself at home

Congrats on the new job.

Youc an still access the EYFSP video cips if this is what you meant from here just scroll down the page.

Most of the national strategies and QDCA stuff is still available via Teachfind.

Brilliant Mundia! Knew there were great folk on this forum!

Hi Skittles

Lorna

Oh Lorna that would be amazing! I am trying to educate my TA's and support staff and believe the video would be insight.ON Teachfind they will not open for me :o can you post them on here? I am still figuring out how to message on here :/ How do i personal message?

Skittles

Hi skittles, welcome!

on 'average' our children on entry score between 1-3 points ( our LA said that if a child is in the 1-3 band thay are average) Soz im not sure about nursery on entry. The children dont have to be scoring 3 in total, but working within the 1-3 band. We were then advise that by spring term we would expect most children to be moving into the 4 plus band. If they are not this doesnt mean they need to go on an IEP or anything just need to work out what thier barriers are and put things in place for them. And they say that by the end of reception, a child who is scoring 78 point plus across all areas is an average child. However you would be looking to see if they had scores of 6 plus in the key areas ( CLLD, PSED and PRSN)

Hope this makes sense we have had lots of info on this recently and it came from meeting with the LA early years advisior.

I have an old power point about observing. Would you like a copy? it might need amending but could be a starting point and save you time?. Ill have a look at it and see how relevent it is. Also we are very lucky to have a good team of staff observations and one thing that was hightlighted the most from our moderation was the Clipboard issue!!

Many staff sit with thier clap board writing down everything the child says and does and doesnt even interact with the child. At me previous setting this happend lots, so we did some training tasks on it to show each other how it must feel been a child talking to a person who has no eye contact with you! and who is more bothered about writing down everythingn you say. It is hard when you need the evidence but blocks the interaction so its about strking a balance or making notes etc.

Hope that makes sense just something to maybe be highlighted with your team.

Goodluck

Oh Lorna that would be amazing! I am trying to educate my TA's and support staff and believe the video would be insight.ON Teachfind they will not open for me :o can you post them on here? I am still figuring out how to message on here :/ How do i personal message?

Skittles

Skittles on the top left you will see a sign saying my controls you can receive and send pm in there. I have sent you a personal message to give you an idea of how it works.

Lorna

Hi skittles, welcome!

on 'average' our children on entry score between 1-3 points ( our LA said that if a child is in the 1-3 band thay are average) Soz im not sure about nursery on entry. The children dont have to be scoring 3 in total, but working within the 1-3 band. We were then advise that by spring term we would expect most children to be moving into the 4 plus band. If they are not this doesnt mean they need to go on an IEP or anything just need to work out what thier barriers are and put things in place for them. And they say that by the end of reception, a child who is scoring 78 point plus across all areas is an average child. However you would be looking to see if they had scores of 6 plus in the key areas ( CLLD, PSED and PRSN)

Hope this makes sense we have had lots of info on this recently and it came from meeting with the LA early years advisior.

I have an old power point about observing. Would you like a copy? it might need amending but could be a starting point and save you time?. Ill have a look at it and see how relevent it is. Also we are very lucky to have a good team of staff observations and one thing that was hightlighted the most from our moderation was the Clipboard issue!!

Many staff sit with thier clap board writing down everything the child says and does and doesnt even interact with the child. At me previous setting this happend lots, so we did some training tasks on it to show each other how it must feel been a child talking to a person who has no eye contact with you! and who is more bothered about writing down everythingn you say. It is hard when you need the evidence but blocks the interaction so its about strking a balance or making notes etc.

Hope that makes sense just something to maybe be highlighted with your team.

Goodluck

Hello there! Those figures make sense to me :) - i hoping from meeting with the LA advisor all the things can be clarified, especially the score of months from nursery and how they sit on the profile!! Oohh, the powerpoit would be more than helpful,i am sure :o

The clipboards, yes a huge source of aggro for me, i would rather spend some 'focus specific ' time with the children and then write up the essentials. However our school don't do it that way and i have a feeling it will hard to change. I am going to quiz the advisor though and the deputy will be sitting in on that!

http://eyfs.info/articles/article.php?Asse...-in-the-EYFS-15

This might help.

Also the Ofsted guidance on inspecting the EYFS gives the expectations quite clearly in one of the appendices

Hi there. Yes i read that article with great interest, clarifies some things and the Ofsted link was very useful too. Will be putting these in my file.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Skittles, sounds like you have the same problems to grapple with as me. If you use the eprofile it will print out helpful graphs (I'm sure you already know this) and I wave these in front of SIA and anyone else who wants them. We've also started using a tracking sheet to show which children have not made progress in which scale for the profile each term and how we are going to address that. Nursery is more tricky as I know which dev matters band individuals are "secure" in and have started to use PRAMS (available on this website) which should help with % across cohort.

In my LEA we are told average children enter Reception on 3 points/scale and exit on 6 or 7. However our children enter Reception lower than this as the area the school is in isn't the "average" socioeconomic area for the LEA! Entry to Nursery is also lower than "emerging" 30-50 months.

I'd be interested to hear what your advisior advises :o

• 2 months later...

Hi, saw this thread and had to sign up straight away!

I have an interview for an early years leader post next week and in the letter it says I will have to take part in two pre-interview tasks, any ideas what these could be? I'm thinking one might be some data analysis?

The above interview topics have been really helpful to know so thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)