Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Auditory Memory Difficulties

Love the Forum so hope someone can give me some advice.

My daughter's best friend was called into the school as there were concerns about her son's progress at school. After being professionally assessed she has been told he has auditory memory difficulties (looked on line so wonder if it is auditory processing disorder). Actually none of this has come as a surprise as we all thought there was something wrong. He started his second year last September. He has difficulty with remembering especially verbal instructions and she has been told to make visual routine cards to help at home. She is really worried as he is below average at school and has been told that he might not make any more progress. I am certain the school will now take professional advice but we are anxious to help in any way we can. She is a really caring Mum and they read every night. When he was at pre-school he could count to 20 and above and order the numbers, knew all the names in the Thomas the Tank Engine books, colours and shapes etc. but looking back this was all visual stuff. He always experienced difficulty in coping with large numbers of children, particularly when we had special days when parents were present.

Does anyone have any experience of this and can offer any help. Does anyone know of a good site where we can download routine cards (I'm not really certain whether they should be really basic)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Am not certain if I have posted in the right place. If I haven't can someone please change it?

It might also be useful to look at www.communications4all.co.uk

It is often easier to get in during the day rather than the evenings due to demand and you might need to dig about but there are some visual resources there.

Hi your friend could make her own resources from photographs of him or their surroundings which could help him with following instructions. I have made several of these for children in my class with such difficulties for things like getting changed for PE I take a photo of them at each stage of the process and make them into little books. I have a child in my class at the moment who relies heavily on visual prompts and she has a TA 1-1, they go through her day and velcro her activities on the wall in order and she then posts them in her special post box when each element of the day is complete and they talk about what comes next. Has she thought about using a total communication approach? Even if his language is not an issue, giving him instructions in sign (makaton) as well gives a visible signal that may help him to process information ( I have several children who rely on makaton for their understanding in my class)

I also use software called widgit which has symbols for pretty much everything but there are loads of websites out there offering resources.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)