Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No Interests!

Each half term my long term plan consists of a specific topic then a 2-3 week block given over to a child-interest topic. This is to ensure that my Y1s get their essential coverage but that my YR ones get to experience a more EY friendly set up.

I'm due to start my next child interest block next week and they're not interested in anything!

My topic for the first half of term has been caves which everyone has really enjoyed and is still enjoying. They are particularly interested in bats but we've covered lots of things about bats in our science work. Our role play area is a VW camper van as several children were always playing 'going on holiday'. They still are!

That aside they haven't shown any particular interests - especially the girls. I don't know what to do! Do I go for a familiar 'topic'. Do I try and extend the cave/bat work further - I'm struggling with ideas on this one. Or, do I pick an area I know I often struggle to get evidence for (am thinking about the making healthy choices thing) and focus on that for a bit?

Any suggestions anyone?

Perhaps more seriously - why am I not seeing their interests. They must have some!

how about going deeper into the cave and go underground. what can they find? whats down there?

or if they liked bats other night time animals - caves dark/night time?

will keep thinking i know its hard my last class were a little like that

Each half term my long term plan consists of a specific topic then a 2-3 week block given over to a child-interest topic. This is to ensure that my Y1s get their essential coverage but that my YR ones get to experience a more EY friendly set up.

I'm due to start my next child interest block next week and they're not interested in anything!

My topic for the first half of term has been caves which everyone has really enjoyed and is still enjoying. They are particularly interested in bats but we've covered lots of things about bats in our science work. Our role play area is a VW camper van as several children were always playing 'going on holiday'. They still are!

That aside they haven't shown any particular interests - especially the girls. I don't know what to do! Do I go for a familiar 'topic'. Do I try and extend the cave/bat work further - I'm struggling with ideas on this one. Or, do I pick an area I know I often struggle to get evidence for (am thinking about the making healthy choices thing) and focus on that for a bit?

Any suggestions anyone?

Perhaps more seriously - why am I not seeing their interests. They must have some!

what about talking about the rocks you find in caves/under the ground etc...you could have crystals, paint rocks, look at different types of rock, granite,chalk etc....even coal this could then be extended into making crystals looking at shapes, looking at them through microscopes etc.. Both genders might be inspired.

How about following the 'Holiday' interest? - airports, where different families are from etc etc?

or one of the childrens favourite books to read...Tiger who came to tea is a fav of my children at the moment...you could take the tiger on a holiday...maybe camping in your campervan, you could write postcards, pack a suitcase, healthy foods for the tiger to take with him, set up a tent and camping equipment in the garden? Sounds fun!!x

I work in a very different way to you in that I tend to start them off with a theme for the half term (which I know is going to excite them)and then see which way it heads, I need to know what I'm planning for CLL and numeracy and link that to the theme but the activities for CI time are planned with the children on a thursday in a meeting about the next week. I do also do things which I want them to experience but which they may never have thought of eg we have had a Chinese New year week this week making dragons, making stir fry, writing their names in chinese etc the children are completely loving it and the CI writing I have had about dragons has been fantasic and in fact we will probably have to carry on next week as the whole class without exception are so fired up about it all. I believe very strongly that sometimes we have to be the driving force and add our own interests and ideas into the mix to encourage wider interests and then step back and see what they do with it. If your children are interested in playing going on holiday, could you not have a theme of say journeys and see where that leads-journey to the moon, under the sea, on a train, to another country or stories which talk of a journey eg. the gruffalo, gingerbreadman etc A story such as whatever next could be all the starting point they need, what would they make their box into and where would it go?. I'm in reception by the way

deb

what about going from the cave theme to things that they might find in a cave (we're going on a bear hunt) or where the cave might take them (the tunnel) i've used a hamiltion trust story before that is about a little boy who finds a cave and by thecave is a fossil which open up his imagination and he remembers the dinosaurs so then this has led onto dinosaurs - the other thing is if they are into bats - could you go into animals you find at night and then day and night?

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone. I think I'm going to start with the journeys aspect and the stories - they do love stories. It is a particularly challenging class behaviour wise but even the most challenging will sit spellbound for a story!

So, I'm going to start with Whatever Next - it's a newish story to them but I think will appeal across the board.

Now my next question - I've searched on the forum for some activity suggestions/ideas being convinced that there must be some but my search for 'whatever next' isn't pulling up anything whether I put it in quotes, add a wildcard or try anything else! It won't even pull up the mention in this topic.

Has anyone got any suggestions - I was convinced there would be lots of lovely ideas on here - all ready for me to pinch! :o

Just a few ideas off top of my head that ive done it past linked with the story

Retelling the story- using the props, colander, welli boots, lunch box

Children could decorate thier own box- mark making names for thier rockets/boxes

link with designing thier own rockets-rolplay area maybe

They could make a picnic, make thier own sandwiches, eat it like he does in the story

Link it with making a healthy lunchbox- cutting and sticking healthy foods

Link it with space- Aliens, planets

ordering numbers on rockets(sorry not sure what age your kids are)

making shape pictures of rocket or different modes of transport

If its reception I play a really good phonics game- using the box from the story, stick words on the inside of the box and cut out a little hole like a letter box. One child sits in the box with a torch and finds a word. They call out the sounds in the words one by one e.g d-o-g. the children on the outside are sat with their white boards and pens writing each sound as it is said. They then read the word on thier board. The person in the box posts the card throught he hole(letter box) to check they all have the same word. The kids love this!

Could link with journey they have been on- making postcards/writing them

also lots of word card etc linked with the story on sparkle box site

Hope this helps

stax

Whatever_Next__power_point.ppt

Thank you so much for your help - I'd really meant could anyone give me any suggestions on why I couldn't search for 'Whatever Next' but I really appreciate you taking the time to share your ideas. It's been a pretty rubbish week at school for various reasons so it's good to be helped - thank you.

• 5 weeks later...

Staxfleming - I love the idea of sitting in the box and spelling out the words for the other children to write! I shall certainly use that one, thank you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)