Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rewards And Sanctions Research

Hi everyone.

I'm in my final year of a BA in Primary Education and currently researching for my dissertation on rewards and sanctions. I am looking at different perceptions between teachers and pupils so I have set up an online questionnaire for primary teachers.

If you can help me with your views please follow the link. I would really appreciate it!!!

There are 12 questions, all multiple choice, but it will still take you about 15 minutes to complete.

If you have a go, please stick with it as I will have to remove incomplete surveys and your valuable time will be wasted.

Thank you.

SurveyMonkey/My Survey/Rewards and Sanctions

Welcome to the Forum, devildog and congratulations on your first post.

What an interesting area of study - I was just reading an article by Penny Tassoni in Nursery World about stickers so this issue was already on my mind.

Is your survey just for teachers working in schools?

Welcome to the Forum, devildog and congratulations on your first post.

What an interesting area of study - I was just reading an article by Penny Tassoni in Nursery World about stickers so this issue was already on my mind.

Is your survey just for teachers working in schools?

I'm looking for responses from teachers and teaching assistants in EYFS, KS1 and KS2.

I became interested because I have always been wary of the whole "can I have a sticker?" routine and even had a child on one placement who would tell me where the stickers were kept every time she did something. On the other hand, on my last placement, I found a reward system was required to control a very noisy class.

I've also come across, in my son's reception class, a behaviour system where there is no aspirational nature to it. You start the day on the tree, and if you're naughty you go onto the black cloud. If you're okay, unnoticed or exceptionally behaved... you stay where you were on the tree.

Thanks for your interest!

I'm sure you have read the works of this gentleman...I first came across him on my first open university course and found him very sensible in his ideas.

http://www.alfiekohn.org/parenting/gj.htm

There was a tv program on a while back about how children today (expecially older ones) are motivated or demotivated entirely by results...when teachers feed back to them on their essays they pay little attention to this and are merely focussed on whether they get a shiny a* ....I think this stems from the idea that children should always be rewarded for hard work. The fact of life is that sometimes you work jolly hard and no one says "well done have a sticker". If we could get children to take pride in their own achievements and what they have done...the effort thats gone in ...and not in the scores on the doors then I feel things would be a lot better. Why should I behave in class....because if I do I feel good about myself...not because if I do I get a turn on the ps3. If we accept that children are citizens then we should allow them the right to appreciate that good behaviour etc is part of being a part of the community and not merely a route to acquiring something (sticker, freetime etc). Alfie Kohns work suggests that such rewards are very short lived and expectations become ever higher. If children build that high locus of control (I did this, its my responsibility, I have a shiny glow inside because I worked hard and tried my best)..then this will follow through and enable them to be more resilient in later life. Im sure we all know children who are high achievers, motivated by results...who stop trying the first time they fail!

Good luck with your research project...I cant fill in your questionnaire because I do not work in your chosen area (I'm not a teacher). My tips are keep it tight and focussed as they tend to get out of hand by the end.........and make sure you back it up! :o

• Like 1