Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birth To Three Matters Mixed Groups

wellerkaren

within my nursery the children start when they are 2 and leave just before they start reception. i have asked my local advisory team of way of implementing the bttm with in my setting as we use a family grouping method so far they have not been much help. is anyone eles in the same situation and if so how do theyt mannnage this in there setting.

At our group, we take them from 2y 9m and they leave to go to reception so can be nearly 5.

We have mixed sessions and find it works well. Where differentiation is possible we do so - for example most craft activities can be supported/extended. Our planning shows this too. We have BTTM phrases on the plans and highlighted children.

We do small group work but don't often do it as older and younger children. The only real 'issue' is they need more support to sit for longer periods at register and story time but we find the older children encourage them!

Hi

we have mixed gruops, basically all the 3-5yrs have an individual pplay plan with the stepping stones in and the 2 1/2 yr olds follow the birth to three matters with activities supported or extended. :D

Hi,

We have children aged 2yrs - 4+yrs, we are fortunate to have two seperate rooms and split the group for register and story times.

As Pandamonium has stated it is difficult to meet the developmental needs of all the children in this age range during these adult led routine activities.

The younger ones respond better to active register ie: find your name card and put it in the yellow hoop, ready, steady, go. Also with the younger ones there are too many distractions in a larger group and their attention span obviously going to be much shorter.

Some of the younger children choose to join the older ones and they are able to with the agreed condition that they respond and behave the same as their chosen peer group.

Like Hali, we follow FSC and BTTM in all our planning through differentiation within each activity and experience offered.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)