Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Hammers

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

Hi

I would like to let my children hammer some wood with nails and cannot find suitable hammers to buy.Can someone help?

thanks

we use adult ones too but the ones with a slightly smaller head - you can always cut down the handle but we've never done this as the children cope really well with them. We have a great little ironmongers nearby that sells all manner of things and we got ours from there - I am sure they sell 'four candles' and some 'o's' too :o

A good idea is to get them hammering into dense polystyrene and use golf tees to start instead of nails (you can pick up the golf tees in sports shops like JB Sports) also the polystyrene is good for use screwdrivers and screws into. I try to collect any packaging from large boxes and always make a request in our newsletter for some.

Polystyrene is also great for using junior hacksaws too.

Have fun

ooh and don't forget to get your safety goggles

we use adult ones too but the ones with a slightly smaller head - you can always cut down the handle but we've never done this as the children cope really well with them. We have a great little ironmongers nearby that sells all manner of things and we got ours from there - I am sure they sell 'four candles' and some 'o's' too xD

A good idea is to get them hammering into dense polystyrene and use golf tees to start instead of nails (you can pick up the golf tees in sports shops like JB Sports) also the polystyrene is good for use screwdrivers and screws into. I try to collect any packaging from large boxes and always make a request in our newsletter for some.

Polystyrene is also great for using junior hacksaws too.

Have fun

ooh and don't forget to get your safety goggles

and if you're not allowed polystyrene then try using a pumpkin!! :o

We are using some hammers right now. They are the usual adult size as well plus a claw hammer - it's a bit heavier but more skilled children are quite capable of using it. We use real wood for sawing with hacksaws. Vices are good to keep it in place. Now it's icy they can practice on blocks of ice as well.

Guest tinkerbell

we get our safety glasses from YPO (yorkshire purchasing office)

have done the pumpkins with golf tees thanks.

I will persevere with adult hammers .

I had trouble finding small safety goggles and used swimming goggles instead until I came across some little safety glasses whilst on holiday

can I ask where you get your wood from? In my last setting, we used off-cuts from local saw mills etc, but my current manager would prefer to buy soft wood, such as balsa, but having looked into that, it seems very expensive to mail order. Does anyone know of a good supply for safe, soft wood please?

Already got the wheels. Kingsway do some great deals, so very excited to get started!

thank you

Poppy

I have just ordered child hammers from a new educational supplies company called 'cosy'. There are 3 in a pack and they were only £4.95. They also have saws, nails and lots of other 'real' tools but for children .

Nicky

do they have a website? tried googling, but not the easiest name to find...

Poppy

I have just checked the catalogue - the website does not look like it is up and running yet but it will be www.cosydirect.com ; however you can call them on 01332 370152. .

If you call them I guess they would be able to sent you a catalogue.

The item number is 5220

Nicky

I have just checked the catalogue - the website does not look like it is up and running yet but it will be www.cosydirect.com ; however you can call them on 01332 370152. .

If you call them I guess they would be able to sent you a catalogue.

The item number is 5220

Nicky

thanks Nicky, that's great! Will give them a call tomorrow.

Poppy

• 2 weeks later...
can I ask where you get your wood from? In my last setting, we used off-cuts from local saw mills etc, but my current manager would prefer to buy soft wood, such as balsa, but having looked into that, it seems very expensive to mail order. Does anyone know of a good supply for safe, soft wood please?

Already got the wheels. Kingsway do some great deals, so very excited to get started!

thank you

Poppy

Balsa wood is too soft for this kind of activity as the children will hardly need to pout any energy into it the swing to get the nail in the wood. Any wood like pine etc with be fine and a visit to the builders merchant with the children will soon give you lots of off cuts. I also found that old logs were very useful for this type of activity.

Lorna

Balsa wood is too soft for this kind of activity as the children will hardly need to pout any energy into it the swing to get the nail in the wood. Any wood like pine etc with be fine and a visit to the builders merchant with the children will soon give you lots of off cuts. I also found that old logs were very useful for this type of activity.

Lorna

Thank you everyone for your replies,

got some wood from B&Q in the end and got them to cut it up. Had some very successful sessions with it so far, with the 'littlies' making buses and racing cars (I esp like one little girl's bright pink version : )

I like the look of that stubby hammer, might get one to try next time I'm at Maplin's.

P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)