Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Space Themed Literacy Ideas

For this half term our topic in my reception class is space.

I can think of lots of creative activities for the topic like making rockets, planets out of papier mache etc but am stuck when it comes to CLL.

We will have a few focus texts like Whatever Next! Here come the aliens, Aliens love underpants and non fiction information books. I am planning on sharing these with the children but at the moment my mind has gone blank when thinking about small group activities (adult led) for literacy related to these books. I tend to have just over an hour in the morning twice a week for CLL when myself or my TA will do group work whilst the other is doing observations or supporting CI activities.

I need some group activities that will last roughly 15-20 mins. All I can think of at the moment is making up alliterative names for aliens.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Claire :o

Hi there,

I'm not in reception but an activitiy i did with my 4 year olds could be adapted.....

Have you read the story about Bob the man on the moon, its great!

In a part of the story Bob cleans up the moon after the visitors have been so we...... read the story and then flew to the moon singing the song Zoom, zoom,zoom were going to the moon.

I explained to the children that the visitors had left some objects that need clearing up. We then each got a yellow duster and to music cleaned the moon together!

Before hand i had hidden objects around the room for the children to 'clear up'.

Once all the objects have been found we sat together and talked about then and what letter sound they began with ie...keys, cup, a ring etc! x

For this half term our topic in my reception class is space.

I can think of lots of creative activities for the topic like making rockets, planets out of papier mache etc but am stuck when it comes to CLL.

We will have a few focus texts like Whatever Next! Here come the aliens, Aliens love underpants and non fiction information books. I am planning on sharing these with the children but at the moment my mind has gone blank when thinking about small group activities (adult led) for literacy related to these books. I tend to have just over an hour in the morning twice a week for CLL when myself or my TA will do group work whilst the other is doing observations or supporting CI activities.

I need some group activities that will last roughly 15-20 mins. All I can think of at the moment is making up alliterative names for aliens.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Claire :o

Hi, what about telling the children that the aliens need names and that they have each chosen a name they like (the names of the children in the class). Hide some different laminated aliens in the outdoor/classroom and then using clipboards ask the children to note down who the aliens are today. This could happen over a few days until all the children's names have been used. This could then be used as Susan suggested, to use adjectives to describe their alien, or talk about them in circle time. They could designn homes think of food have a party, naming ceramony, write lists of things they need or something along those lines. You could even limit it to 5 so that you could sing five little men in a flying saucer and finish the day/session with the aliens found in the flying saucer and let them fly off to the child with the same name. xD

Some great ideas, thank you everyone! Will definitely try those out, I have a literacy lesson observation on Wednesday so very glad I have some idea of what to do now!

:o

role play 'Whatever Next', we used all the props and big cardboard box. we packed the box and set off to space, first writing describing words on the board about what we would find/feel to discuss when we got back. We dressed a part of the clasroom as the moon and space walked around it having hidden objects in and around - playing phonics games with the objects such as rhyming games. When at the moon we wrote postcards back to earth. When we got back we sequenced our trip (having taken pictures whilst we were roleplaying) the HA then wrote recounts and instructions on getting to the moon.

We made moon cakes and sequenced/wrote instructions.

using a A5 sized template of an underpant the children generated a simple sentence which they wrote (or i did for them) 1 word per underpant and they pegged on the washing line - making silly sentences and others having to work out what it should say - the boys loved this!

Hope that helps

K :o

what about looking at QPootle 5, I love the last page where he finally gets to the space party and you see the party food all space related items. Could you write party invites or a list of space party food? or think of their own space related food

Deb

When we 'do' space we sometimes find out about Neil Armstrong's journey to the moon, and compare it to Baby bear's (Whatever next) - how did they travel, what did they wear, what did they do there? We had a nice display of large speech bubbles, from either of the above characters (children chose) with the children's emergent writing inside about their journey to the moon.

We also brainstorm words for a class word bank and they (are supposed to/encouraged to) use these words when they 'write' their log book after their adventure in space (i.e role play in space rocket) during CI play

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)