Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Working Walls Space

Hi All

Like many people, I have been totally absorbed reading about Working Walls.

I intend to start one tomorrow with my Nursery children. Our topic is Space, several of our children are interested in rockets.

Can anyone suggest ways, in which parent's might be able to contribute to their children's learning?

I work in an area of significant deprivation.

Thank you all.

Hi I dont know enough about working walls but what i have looked up it is about writing development - am i correct? as parent input may be difficult how about a simple rocket shape sent home and the child with assistant from parent to write their name or initial on rocket ?? sorry probably not much help

Working wall or learning wall was how we did our planning - particularly from children's interests.. ours was in an area the parents could read and have access to each time they came to the setting..

we had an area for parents comments, about what we were doing, asking if they had any ideas we could use or skills they could help us with for a particular topic or area we were covering.. many did actually write on the wall and we used their input to help us with direction.. or we asked for them to add to the wall with things their child was doing at home about the theme, sometimes it was a photo, others something they had made. or just comments on what had been said..

overall it was a big work in constant progress and evolved quite quickly, often by end of a couple of weeks ours had changed direction a few times.. I had a book I put it all in as I removed in so it showed the planning and progress over time.. it actually saved us a lot of planning - we added comments on what was being learnt as we went along..

Parent contributions on working walls are not intended to be staged homework more parents getting interested and bringing their own ideas to it. We usually send a 'newsletter' (phrase used with parents as they understood that) telling them what we were looking at and some open ended questions or ideas that generate input back to nursery.

Does your child have a page in a colouring book with a rocket or alien on it?

A favourite story book to share about...

Look in newpapers or magazines around home with.....in

Does Grandma remember what her favourite toys was?

We'd love to see photo's of the childrens pets.

One of the children would like to make a tardis! Anyone got a large box.?

Please tell us what your children are sharing with you about jungle animals.

Can any one come and make bread?

We also have little star cards (like wow cards but large florescent stars) parents can take and add what their children know/say etc on put on their childs own display space

Parent contributions on working walls are not intended to be staged homework more parents getting interested and bringing their own ideas to it. We usually send a 'newsletter' (phrase used with parents as they understood that) telling them what we were looking at and some open ended questions or ideas that generate input back to nursery.

Does your child have a page in a colouring book with a rocket or alien on it?

A favourite story book to share about...

Look in newpapers or magazines around home with.....in

Does Grandma remember what her favourite toys was?

We'd love to see photo's of the childrens pets.

One of the children would like to make a tardis! Anyone got a large box.?

Please tell us what your children are sharing with you about jungle animals.

Can any one come and make bread?

We also have little star cards (like wow cards but large florescent stars) parents can take and add what their children know/say etc on put on their childs own display space

Thank you all so much.

Biccy it was your thread from some years ago that started me thinking, and questioning how we engage our parents in their children's learning. Wonderful!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)