Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New And Trying To Get Onto Pgce!

Hi everyone!

I am a new member and have applied to do a PGCE this year. I have already had one interview in December, but unfortunately I was unsuccessful xD

The problem I have is that the feedback they gave was rather generic and I am feeling a bit insecure about it. I am 33 and everything I have done over the past 4 years (uni and re-doing GCSE Maths) has culminated at this point and I feel a bit dispondant.

I applied very late last year and only had one interview, which again was unsuccessful, so I have used this time wisely by volunteering at a local school (for over a year), redo my maths (exam in June), read as much information as I can, learnt Makaton and still it doesn't seem like enough. I am also in the process of doing an equivalency Maths test as lots of PGCE/GTP providers will not even look at you without your maths qualification. All I want to do is teach, I feel alive in the classroom and love being part of a group of people who can develop a child's attitude and passion for learning whilst making it fun (without meaning to make myself sound like a bit of a nutter or something). I can't even get a job as a TA at the moment so it really feels like everything is going against me.

I know I will get there eventually but I'm having a really low moment and I was wondering if there is anybody out there who is going through/has gone through the same as me or if anybody has any advice they could share?

Many thanks for your time guys :o

Hello and welcome :o

I remember how stressful it was trying to get onto the PGCE, there's just so many applicants for only a few places. Sadly I'm guessing being a mature student isn't going in your favour. however don't give up! From your post I got the impression your maths exam is actually this coming June? It could be that they are reluctant to offer a place to someone who may or may not get the relevant qualification when they have a large number of applicants who already have it. Could I ask why you're doing an equivalency exam if you are retaking the maths GCSE as I'm a bit confused?

My advice would be to keep trying for those TA jobs, perhaps you could sign up with a supply agency to do TA work in order to get some experience. if finding something more permanent isn't working. When are you next able to apply? What feedback did they give if you don't mind me asking?

I've recently started my PGCE although I've come yo it from a slightly different angle to you. One thing which might help you getting paid experience in the interim is speaking to the school you have been volunteering at and others locally to you to see if they use any specific TA supply agencies. When I was struggling to get a TA position I discovered that my local primaries did use agencies other than the LA bank for TAs so that might be useful. Once you have that sorted it might be possible for you to speak to a school about offering you a placement for a GTP training pathway rather than PGCE and that would then open up more options for you in terms of the training for teaching. It is really frustrating and difficult when you keep getting knocked back and I really sympathise as I was in this position last summer. It might be more successful when you have the Maths equivalency as then you are on a level playing field with other applicants. Don't give up though and good luck.

Hello and welcome xD

I remember how stressful it was trying to get onto the PGCE, there's just so many applicants for only a few places. Sadly I'm guessing being a mature student isn't going in your favour. however don't give up! From your post I got the impression your maths exam is actually this coming June? It could be that they are reluctant to offer a place to someone who may or may not get the relevant qualification when they have a large number of applicants who already have it. Could I ask why you're doing an equivalency exam if you are retaking the maths GCSE as I'm a bit confused?

My advice would be to keep trying for those TA jobs, perhaps you could sign up with a supply agency to do TA work in order to get some experience. if finding something more permanent isn't working. When are you next able to apply? What feedback did they give if you don't mind me asking?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcome Sunnyday and Kariana! :o

Kariana - I am doing a GCSE so I have the proper qualification but hardly any Uni's will even look at my application form without it, so I am also doing an equivalency so at least I can then send my application form off to different Uni's to try and be interviewed...if that makes sense.

They said on the feedback that my presentation topic was weaker than the others - I was the only one to do a factual book. It was about Spring for KS1, linked it to outdoor activities/forest school, how it could be used to encourage finding patterns/shapes in nature, how it could be used across the curriculum (life cycles/metamorphosis by using tadpoles, maths to count seeds or weigh soil for different pots/trays and that kind of thing), Jack and the Beanstalk in the Literacy Hour, grow their own beans and I chose a factual book as they seem to appeal to boys. My written skills were weak even though I have recently finished a degree in English and I had weak interpersonal skills....I used to be a nurse and find it easy to talk to anyone, I even handed out refreshments at the interview, chatted away and waited with the last applicant so they weren't left on their own. The feedback wasn't really specific so I don't know what I need to change if you know what I mean, even though I do understand they have loads of applications and they can't give a detailed report. It is just a bit frustrating.

I didn't think my age would be a problem as I have had my children and wouldn't be taking maternity leave in the future, but maybe it is another possibility like you said.

I will definately keep trying with the TA jobs but will continue to volunteer until then :(

I've recently started my PGCE although I've come yo it from a slightly different angle to you. One thing which might help you getting paid experience in the interim is speaking to the school you have been volunteering at and others locally to you to see if they use any specific TA supply agencies. When I was struggling to get a TA position I discovered that my local primaries did use agencies other than the LA bank for TAs so that might be useful. Once you have that sorted it might be possible for you to speak to a school about offering you a placement for a GTP training pathway rather than PGCE and that would then open up more options for you in terms of the training for teaching. It is really frustrating and difficult when you keep getting knocked back and I really sympathise as I was in this position last summer. It might be more successful when you have the Maths equivalency as then you are on a level playing field with other applicants. Don't give up though and good luck.

Hi Holly35!

Thanks for the advice, I will definately ask when I am there next week. I think my Maths is a big problem at the mo as I can't even apply for a GTP without it, but as you say, when I get my equivalency then at least it gives me a sporting chance from a level playing field.

Hope all is going well on your PGCE course :o

Hi everyone!

I am a new member and have applied to do a PGCE this year. I have already had one interview in December, but unfortunately I was unsuccessful :(

The problem I have is that the feedback they gave was rather generic and I am feeling a bit insecure about it. I am 33 and everything I have done over the past 4 years (uni and re-doing GCSE Maths) has culminated at this point and I feel a bit dispondant.

I applied very late last year and only had one interview, which again was unsuccessful, so I have used this time wisely by volunteering at a local school (for over a year), redo my maths (exam in June), read as much information as I can, learnt Makaton and still it doesn't seem like enough. I am also in the process of doing an equivalency Maths test as lots of PGCE/GTP providers will not even look at you without your maths qualification. All I want to do is teach, I feel alive in the classroom and love being part of a group of people who can develop a child's attitude and passion for learning whilst making it fun (without meaning to make myself sound like a bit of a nutter or something). I can't even get a job as a TA at the moment so it really feels like everything is going against me.

I know I will get there eventually but I'm having a really low moment and I was wondering if there is anybody out there who is going through/has gone through the same as me or if anybody has any advice they could share?

Many thanks for your time guys :o

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I have started my PGCE this year, although it hasn't been an easy ride! I left school early before taking any GCSE's and managed to work myself through the nursery nursing courses. This I thought was my vocation and never had any interest in being a teacher, until I got a job as a TA in a school. I can really relate to the way you said it makes you feel. Anyway, I took equivilancy's in English and Maths only to be told that they weren't acceptable and aslo they had changed the requirement to have GCSE Science. So, off I went again meanwhile trying to get an interview as I completed them. However they wouldn't even let me through the process until I had the results in my hand. So another 12 months went by and by this point i was REALLY frustrated. I applied as soon as the GTTR applications opened and got an interview.

No that is not the happy ever after, they only had 14 places to give and told me I was unsuccessful but would be first reserve. :wacko: The feedback they game me was that because of my degree classification and my experience they had high hopes for me and that I didn't sell myself, which was fair comment. I was too complacent as they held my UCAS form in front of them and asked me to talk about my experience. I discussed vaguely as I thought, well I don't want to reepeat myself.

So onto interview number 2, I left nothing to chance this time and didn't shut up when it was my turn, so hurray I finally got a place!

What i'm trying to illustrate, although its a bit long winded, is that perseverance does pay off. I know its frustrating and at times you want to scream at people and say just give me a shot! But I am also a strong believer in things happening for a reason. The past three years. while i was waiting for a place, I worked with an amazing teacher in nursery who taught me a lot and I have a great supportive placement now. :(

Please don't give up, the fact that you have got an interview at all without yours maths I think is an accomplishment in itself. I don't think your age is an issue. I was 30 when I had my interview and there are certainly people a lot older than me on the course. From reading your post you sound like you'll make a great teacher and team player and your chance will come to shine i'm sure. :(

All theh best, hope i've not bored you too much. Anyway use this time to have a bit of a life beacaues you won't have one once you start the PGCE (LOL). xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)