Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ta's

I really need some suggestions please. My TA has worked in my class since January and I have done my best to help her settle. The problem is she has no understanding of the foundation stage. I tried in the beginning to support by sharing the FS video and explaining my expectations for the children's learning etc... I always give her detailed activity plans as well as the opportunity to add her own ideas/ input (apparently it is not her job to teach, it is mine as she is not paid to do it). Last term she complained about me to the HT for not giving her detailed weekly plans like the TA's working in other classes and also told the HT there was little structure in my classroom as all the children did was play!!!!

I took another line and tried talking to her about how we can support and extend children's play but it hasn't helped she either spends a lot of time drawing pictures for one child or wondering around tidying up :o .

I am not sure if I have explained myself very well, any ideas of how I could support her further would be very welcome.

Hi

Is there any foundation stage training available in your area, as I had the same sort of problem with an assistant. Since she has been on the training she is fansastic.

Carol

Snap! I had a TA like this last term. All she kept asking was when are the children going to participate in the literacy and numeracy hour. The other comment was 'You know they can't play in YR1. When are they going to sit down?' She would talk over me, shout at the children and draw pictures for them all day. I felt as though I was banging my head against a wall. It wasn't her fault she had come from KS2 and had no training in the FS. I ended up giving her all the backing, laminating, photocopying jobs to do.

Thanks for the feedback I feel better knowing I am not on my own.

There is training in our LEA but the school can't/wont afford it ( we are a small school barely hanging on to our fourth teacher)! I have tried talking to my head but she just tells me I am being unfair, that the TA will learn with experience blah, blah, blah- as I said in my first post the TA complained about me and it has all been put in writing :o so I do feel on my own. Initially I thought I would leave but I am happy there, I had a fab Ofsted at the beginning of the year and our numbers have grown so I will have just foundation stage next year. I really just want my TA to be a part of our class and not just someone who cleans up the mess!

hello fairynough,

I have just posted a reply to the transition thread about the package from QCA with training materials for easing transition and continuing the good practice from the Foundation Stage. Your TA may find this helpful to understanding the Foundation stage as the DVD is excellent and show examples of good practice in Year 1 and the Foundation Stage.

Sharon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)