Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child With Epilepsy

I am about to admit a child with epilepsy. She has absences and seizures comprising of generalised jerking movements. I work in a school based nursery with a 1:13 ratio just myself and T.A. I am looking for a risk assessment to complete before the child starts next week, has anyone got something suitable I could use?? I found one on National Society for Epilepsy but it is not really relevant.

We had a child with epilepsy who had rectal diazepam, which we needed specific training to administer, secure location to keep it in as it's a medicine that needs to be locked away, tell the insurance company about it.

Our school Nurses are not involved with nursery children only children of school age. Luckily the child we have admitted doesn't have any medicines that need administering while she is with us.

We had a child with epilepsy who had rectal diazepam, which we needed specific training to administer, secure location to keep it in as it's a medicine that needs to be locked away, tell the insurance company about it.

I've just seen this and found it very interesting. We were specifically told not to lock epilepsy medicine away for a child in our setting as this would make it difficult to get to in the event of an emergency. I was just wondering what reasons you were given for locking it away?

I've just seen this and found it very interesting. We were specifically told not to lock epilepsy medicine away for a child in our setting as this would make it difficult to get to in the event of an emergency. I was just wondering what reasons you were given for locking it away?

My first response was 'I dunno, that what I was told...' I googled & South Devon healthcare have a handy leaflet that says it must be locked away South Devon Healthcare on Rectal Diazepam - not that I'm in South Devon, but Suffolk don't seem to have these handy info things!

Diazepam is a controlled drug but as it is on Schedule IV it doesn't have to be kept under lock and key like those higher up. You just have to be careful to ensure that it's clearly label as it is an offence to possess it without a prescription.

Diazepam is a controlled drug but as it is on Schedule IV it doesn't have to be kept under lock and key like those higher up. You just have to be careful to ensure that it's clearly label as it is an offence to possess it without a prescription.

That's very useful, thanks Upsy Daisy. Someone suggested locking the medicine away last year (even after the nurse had said not to) and I pointed out what a disaster it would be if the key had been misplaced. Not to mention the time it would take to get the key, get to the cupboard, unlock the door and find the medicine. In normal circumstances this may take only a few moments, but when you're under pressure suddenly things can go wrong!

Edited by Guest

I will have to go back through the paperwork with a fine tooth comb, but we'd been told by the school nurse who did training for us the it does have to be locked away - fully agree with what you are saying about the delay even just getting the key & opening the lock box creates, let alone if the key has been misplaced!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)