Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Degree In The Evening Anyone?

I'm wondering if anyone can help as I am hopelessly going through all the institutions website by website losing the will to live LOL.

I am in the 2nd year of my foundation degree in early years and am looking for somewhere else I can study my top up year where I can go in the evening / afternoon and evening in the London or surronding area?

My original course was suposed to be wednesdays 2 - 9 but it was changed to all day Tuesday and now the GLF has been cut the funding is not there for my day release anymore :-(....I am not disaplined enough for the OU i dont think LOL

• 1 month later...
Guest janetcollins

Not sure is Canterbury Christchurch University has anything would be worth giving them a call Sally MEtcalf is the aldy you would need to speak to.

I'm wondering if anyone can help as I am hopelessly going through all the institutions website by website losing the will to live LOL.

I am in the 2nd year of my foundation degree in early years and am looking for somewhere else I can study my top up year where I can go in the evening / afternoon and evening in the London or surronding area?

My original course was suposed to be wednesdays 2 - 9 but it was changed to all day Tuesday and now the GLF has been cut the funding is not there for my day release anymore :-(....I am not disaplined enough for the OU i dont think LOL

I think you may find that OU might surprise you. Often people think they have to manage their own time etc but truth be told usually you are given a timetable to follow which requires you to do reading, interactive activities, participate in online forum discussions and dates on which your essays have to be in. In many ways it is better than being in a classroom where a tutor suddenly springs something on you "Oh next week I want you to have read XXXXXX"...with OU you know fairly well in advance what needs to be done so you can plan around holidays etc. The online timetables enable you to tick off what you have done as you go. I am a very disorganised person and have just finished my BA with OU....and quite frankly if I can do it then so can anyone. Like you when my last college course finished I didnt fancy the Trek to the uni that was running the FD and the one local to me didnt recognise my ADCE so I opted (very uncertainly) down the OU pathway. A close friend of mine continued hers through the local Uni. There were times when she had 2 or 3 tutors all asking her to do stuff in a week...whereas I just had the one tutor and my OU timetable telling me what needed to be done. Some times I worked ahead....I tried never to get behind but if for some reason I was pushed then I could allow myself to drop back for a week and then catch up later.....but I always knew what needed to be done because of the timetable on my OU homepage. Much of the OU work is now done online and is interactive...this also keeps you on track for example on my last course (KE312) you were thrown a discussion and then your partcipation on the forum added to your TMA (essay) marks. You also get to cross fertilize ideas with those who are outside of your field far more than you do in a FD classroom. I have sat alongside, social workers, health workers, sociology students, school teachers, classroom assistants, librarians, nursery nurses, nannies, child minders, montesiori teachers, OAP's using course for something to do.......and even an Ofsted inspector! The different outlooks on childhood etc really broadened my outlook.

So please don't dismiss it because it might be the key to a whole new outlook on working with children! :o

• 3 months later...

I am hoping to do the Foundation degree in Early Years through the OU next year, so thanks enuffsenuf for your reassuring post :)

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)