Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyps For Experienced Reception Teacher Any Good?

Hi I have been offered to do EYPS training and it will be funded for me as I am in an area of deprivation. I am a reception teacher with 15 years experience mostly in KS1 and I have a BEd hons Primary (5-7) I have been in reception for the last 3 years and am pretty confident in my practice. Has anyone with similar experience done the training and what did you think? I am always looking to learn and improve my practice but I just want advice about whether the course is worth doing or whether I would be taught what I already know

Deb

Hi Deb, I dont know for certain but I doubt you would learn anything new particularly BUT if I were offered the opportunity to do this I think I would be looking at the bigger picture as in, do I need this to continue to work within Early years, what advantages would it have for me in the long run.

Some years ago I was offered the opportunity to do NPQH, which I turned down as I had no intention of becoming a HT but in more recent years I have certainly wished I had taken up that opportunity, not to become a HT but for the expertise that it would have afforded me.

EYPS covers the whole age range of the EYFS so you'd be showing how your practice meets the Standards from birth. For candidates who don't have recent experience of working across the age range that means they would complete a placement in a setting caring for children in the relevant age range, and carry out a project/activity to show how they lead and support EYFS practice. I'm not sure how that would work when a candidate is a teacher, but I'm sure your HT and training provider can let you know the technicalities.

As Susan says, you never know what will happen in the future, and EYPS can be a powerful learning experience in that you can identify the areas of your practice/knowledge you want to develop, and take charge of your own learning and development.

I think that it is something that would give you a different perspective on the role of a leading practitioner in the Early Years. As Maz says it will cover the whole range from birth, and presumably if your school have recommended that you do this qualification, they must be willing to release you for a time. It isn't something essential in a maintained school reception class because of your qualifications and experience, which will cover what you need to know. However, if you were ever to think of moving into a Children's Centre, this would put you in a strong position to be shortlisted, as it may well be that you would be expected to lead across the centre. One thing that many Early Years teachers from maintained schools lack is experience with under threes and babies.

And of course, EYPS is all about leadership :o As a class teacher you may well have worked with TAs but you may not have had the opportunity to lead a staff team, make significant changes and support colleagues through them, or influence policy. EYPS would expect you to be able to do all that and more!

Have you got a copy of the current standards for EYPS so that you can see what's involved?

Guest tinkerbell

I too think it would be a good thing to do.I am very similar in my qualification to you (perhaps taught longer).

Susan I did do the NPQH and found it interesting and I now have a foot in both camps (so to speak) but have decided not to seek headship as I do prefer working with the children.As assistant head and with a new headteacher there is room for using all my knowledge...

however I really would like to have the 0-5 training I think it would be fascinating.My grandson is 3 now and I have taken a real delight in re visiting all those stages of development ...I am so lucky.

If it is free and you have the time really consider it

Tinkerbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)