Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Ever Maths Observation - 8th December ...help

Hi

This is my first ever post on here, despite spending the last 12 weeks loving all of the ideas, I have not had the confidence to submit...so here goes.

In September I started a new school, got the role of deputy head teacher and despite spending the last 9 years in Year 6, the head decided to put me into Reception.

I have never previously been in a reception class and the whole process is just so so different.

I have got my headteacher and the LA advisor coming into watch my maths lesson on the 8th December.

I don't now where to start and would really appreciate any ideas out there - struggle with the idea of having other things in my classroom happening whilst I am working with a group.

Please help :o

Hi Cazakam and welcome.

I think you need to decide upon your learning objective. Do you follow the framework or any of the documents?

What is your topic at the moment?

I am sure we will be able to give you more help once we know what you are trying to do.

hi cazakam welcome to the forum

susan is right it definately depends on what the topic is at the moment. I always find doing activties with resources that will grasp the children's attention e.g. using sweets when focusing on quantities, counting, weighing, more or less or using toys that have sparked an interest already.

kate

Hi and welcome.

I would pay attention to the following as these are the areas I often see that require development in observations in reception classes (Don't mean to teach you to suck eggs here but as you say you're new to EYFS I'll just say it all!!):

whole class input - interactive for most of the children most of the time.

What is the specific small LO you are focused on. ELGs or DM statements are too big/broad (Often a mistake I see when observing) so break it down to the specific skill. Keep whole group time short and snappy obviously.

What is your "look listen and note" outcome. What are you and your TAs etc looking for to show that learning is embedding and being used independently. Maybe not today but linked to your medium term learning outcomes.

Adult directed groups. What will you be doing? what will your additional adult be doing? Who will you be doing it with and why? Where will you be doing it.....hopefully one of you will be working outside on a larger scale with the children so that other children can free flow as well. Differentiation critical here and a focus on application of skills in a meaningful context. Will this be a fully directed or a blend of sustained shared thinking using problem oriented starting points? Are the activities delivered in a playful way?

Adult initiated learning - what will you have in your other areas of learning that wil potentially promote application of the new knowledge you have just taught them. Where does this sensibly link: into the creative workshop? the construction area? role play? These are the resources you might have available over a period of time to engage children with different preferences for learning areas/styles as you build up the learning over the week.

Child initiated learning - for me (and I believe the EYFS) it doesn't need to be all children doing maths because that's what you've just taught them. If the learning environment is resourced appropriately and the plans for the week are well structured then children will get taught input/focused group work and opps to apply in context across time. They may be applying skills developed in other areas of learning and that is OK!! But know what the learning potential for the resources you choose to highlight for children in your environment are. What other LOs do they possibly support. What skills or interests are they building on? Whatever session it is children should be enabled to choose and select for themselves.

Use of time: How is your session used to maximise adult's capacity to directly teach and then engage in what children are initiating for themselves to observe and develop sustained shared thinking opps.

Hope that helps,

Cx

Hi

Wow thank you so far.

I promise nobody can offend me by saying thebasics - I am starting from no knowledge at all.

I am teaching from the developmental ages, doing a Christmas theme at the moment, (Festivals and celebrations)

Not sure what I'm going to do - I have got me an my TA - was planning on going outside with one group.

Initally thinking of doing something around shape and space - maybe weight?

Not sure what to do with the rest of the class, or the other activities.

Thank you so far

Caz :o

Hi

Wow thank you so far.

I promise nobody can offend me by saying thebasics - I am starting from no knowledge at all.

I am teaching from the developmental ages, doing a Christmas theme at the moment, (Festivals and celebrations)

Not sure what I'm going to do - I have got me an my TA - was planning on going outside with one group.

Initally thinking of doing something around shape and space - maybe weight?

Not sure what to do with the rest of the class, or the other activities.

Thank you so far

Caz :o

I would recommend that you definately do the adult led part of the lesson outside-get the children marching,stamping, clapping etc as they count-maybe play 'what's the time Mr Wolf?'

Give the children numbers to 10 to hold and get them to chop and change until they are standing in the right order-send them into the environment to collect objects (eg sticks, stones, leaves ) that match their number.I find this is a great way to get children (especially boys) involved and keeps a good pace to the lesson

Guest tinkerbell

shape and space and weight

perhaps

have shapes wrapped in christmas paper eg big ball,cube,cuboid,toblarone box...the children could pass them round the circle and describe them

have a table full of wrapping paper (cheap) and cellotape and different shaped boxed for the children to wrap, could do this with a friend (team work)

same boxes but with different weights ( eg bag of sugar,bag of pasta or rice ...or make with sand from sand pit)in them all wrapped in same numbered 1,2,3,4,5, all look the same but what is different? pass them round have the children hold them and compare weight ,can they say which is the heaviest? which is the lightest? (I would have 2 the same ) etc ...how can we check? have a balance scale.have labels heaviest and lightest for the children to use.

Have a box with something inside that make s a sound wrapped in christmas paper,pass round circle and all shake and guess what it might be....choose someone to open where they right?...

have 2D shapes cut out of coloured cellophane let the children stick them on a piece of plastic with cellotape eg old A4 plastic packets ,so they overlap and make new colours when held up to the light.

Guest tinkerbell

As mentioned by Catma you do have to build on what the children already know ,so Monday and Tuesday ,wednesdayyou would be laying down the vocabulary and skills needed to then develop the childrens learning on Thursday observation day.,which will be a natural progression from what you have been doing..its like juggling the plates introducing ideas and letting the children develop them in their play but then joining them to scaffold their next learning.Then having them all together and letting them tell you what they have learnt ,sharing with others.....fascinating really ...I would go with the flow of the week and not do something very different from normal .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)