Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Deputy - To Be Or Not To Be

yes, you have to have a deputy.. part of the EYFS not got it to hand to quote where but it is in there..

the job description we used are in the resource library under organisation - employment staffing.. they should show how the role differed in our setting.. (committee run charity) the roles varied very little, as manager (supervisor) I delegated a lot to the deputy and we worked together, and took she over completely at least 1 day a week when I had admin time..

yes, you have to have a deputy.. part of the EYFS not got it to hand to quote where but it is in there..

the job description we used are in the resource library under organisation - employment staffing.. they should show how the role differed in our setting.. (committee run charity) the roles varied very little, as manager (supervisor) I delegated a lot to the deputy and we worked together, and took she over completely at least 1 day a week when I had admin time..

Thanks Inge, we have document from ofsted stating that we do not have to have a deputy as long as there is a level 3 on premises when supervisor is not there, so conflicting info , the problem is the way deputy has been organised in past, original supervisor retired, deputy did not want to step up then went off sick for 6 months , new supervisor found , she left as not made welcome , so level 3 staff member took over temporarily could not cope so went off sick , new supervisor found but not working so I was appointed and she was kept on as staff , but now everyone wants to do deputy , a role that had no definition just the kudos and slighter higher rate of pay , it seems several of the staff wanted to be deputy and both members that went off sick are gradually coming back doing more hours , difficult situation as the one who i would like to act as my deputy is only there 2 days but is by far the best - any ideas ??

I used to have a deputy then she went off to have a baby in the mean time appointed another member which didn't work as wanted to dictate orders did not work. Original deputy returned and didnt want to be deputy.

Hi we actually have two deputies at our setting, although my understanding is that we had to have at least one.

They both can and do deputise in my absence and get paid a deputisation supervisory rate whilst filling this role.

Very useful when wanting to bounce off ideas, evaluate how things are going, however we all work together as a team.

:o

Sounds like a lot of changes and comings and goings of staff..

Cannot see how Ofsted can say you don't need one, it is part of the EYFS and it says you must have a named deputy, unless they made an exception due to all the comings and goings..

I would definitely look at filling the post... I had 2, so it need not be just one person.. they sort of job shared, one had 2 days and the other 3, but they both worked 5 days, just had the added responsibility on set days each week..

As you do not have a deputy at the moment but effectively setting up a new post think about doing a job description giving the deputy more responsibility and jobs to do so it is not just a wage or kudos thing, but does come with more work.. think about things like health and safety , mine did all the risk assessments for the setting and daily checks..one less job for me, and as there were two of them the other did the Senco role.. depends on the set up but it helped and made the role more of a 'real one'.

Maybe you need to do an interview to find out what they feel they can add to the setting by becoming deputy?

Thanks Inge some sound advice , it was during the erractic period that ofsted made the comment in writing , I want to build a good team as i feel there are some great staff who unfortunately have had a very unsettled year and just need some leadership, They have all been really supportive since I came on board 3 weeks ago despite some changes I have already made but they have said it has benefitted them all. I do want to give everyone the opportunity to share the work but as you say there does need to be someone or 2 people able to help and stand in when i am not there. one already has the role of SENCo she is happy to continue and the other is just doing her nvq 3 so officially cannot do until she is qualified, this is a big learning curve for me also as I am in my first role as supervisor .The original deputy is only back a couple of shifts and cannot physically do a lot of the work and can be a little reluctant to change or do anything that does not involve sitting down - I really want to get it right

I am a deputy in a pre-school and when the manager is not there (two sessions a week) I am expected to run the session in her absence. I am also responsible for the training, I am Senco, health and hygeine officer, review the policies and anything else that is required. I think i earn my bucks :o

I am a deputy in a pre-school and when the manager is not there (two sessions a week) I am expected to run the session in her absence. I am also responsible for the training, I am Senco, health and hygeine officer, review the policies and anything else that is required. I think i earn my bucks :o

I am with you, I am a deputy and have pretty much same responsibilities as you. Do you find that everyone moans at you rather than the supervisor?? It's a horrible position sometimes as staff will complain to me and not the boss but you have no real power to effect any changes. xD

I am a deputy in a pre-school and when the manager is not there (two sessions a week) I am expected to run the session in her absence. I am also responsible for the training, I am Senco, health and hygeine officer, review the policies and anything else that is required. I think i earn my bucks xD

I think you do too , thats why it needs to be team work and why are others not moaning to the supervisor , you should tell them too next time they moan at you , like you say you earn your bucks and we know how little this job is rewarded in financial terms :o